Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Operating with a Maestro

Options
Mal G3PDH
Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in Maestro
Can someone explain clearly the station configuration when operating with a Maestro? For instance I understand that the Maestro is connected to the PC Ethernet port directly. So how does one use the PC for running such as a logging program or N1MM+ for operating in contests. Will it be possible to operate with the internal connections such as DAX, CAT for using CW, SSB dvk or DATA for instance.  Can the Maestro work simultaneously with a PC running SSDR?   Does it mean a return to using an external interface somehow? 

Answers

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Mal,
    This is what I understand from Customer Service Manager W4TME - Tim
    The Maestro needs access to the Flex-6000 radio at the same time to perform software updates.
    Maestro to Radio and Maestro to internet.
    There is no computer involved and updating Maestro.
    If I understand it correctly; we will able to update a Flex-6xxx to the latest firmware with only a Maestro that has internet access, no computer needed!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mal, the Maestro is not connected to any PC.  The Maestro communicates directly to the radio over a network.  The entire intent with Maestro is not to have to use a PC to operate the radio.

For operating digital modes with Maestro, you will need to connect the FLEX-6000, Maestro and the PC running your digital, mode logger or any other CAT enabled application to your TCP/IP network in your shack.  This is usually an Ethernet network, but there can be wi-fi elements involved too.

For example, my 6700 is connected to my wireless router via a wired Ethernet connection.  The Maestro communicates to the radio via a wi-fi connection.  My PC running Fldigi which requires SmartSDR CAT and DAX (not SmartSDR for Windows) is also connected to my network via a wi-fi connection.  Both the Maestro and my PC communicate over the network to the radio.  

And to answer your last question, the answer is no, you cannot run Maestro and SmartSDR for Windows at the same time.  Both are classified as GUI applications and currently there can only be one GUI application connected to the radio at one time.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Tim. Will the only one GUI app at a time thing ever change? I would like to be able to run Maestro and SSDR or my custom Spotter app (with panafall) at the same time. I read that SSDR v1.7 is beiing updated to work with Maestro. In what way? If it makes either Maestro or SSDR the GUI app and the other a control surface, then Maestro becomes a very expensive Flex Control! Personally, if that is the case, I see no need for Maestro, when the Flex control or a CMD Micro, becomes a much cheaper option for a knobbed controller. I prepaid for a Maestro (and the adjustable feet) having had the understanding that I would be able to use both Maestro and SSDR or my custom app, together. If that's not going to happen I would like to know now not later, when my Maestro arrives. James WD5GWY
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tim and others. I have my answer to my questions. So, I'm looking forward to receiving my Maestro when it ships. James WD5GWY
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tim. Will the only one GUI app at a time thing ever change? 

Yes.  Exactly how it will work is TBD.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.