Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WriteLog

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was looking at the WriteLog program, and as well as being a capable contest logging program, it also struck me that it would be useful just to use as a data-mode one-stop-shop, especially as it uses the FlexAPI.

What do you all think? Unfortunately, a demo is not available

Answers

• Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited January 2017

Writelog is a great contest program but for non-contest logging there are much better programs available. For example, Writelog does not track DXCC, WAS, WAC or other awards. For that I recommend the DXLab suite of programs. DXLab integrates perfectly with SSDR.

Also, Writelog is not free. An equally capable FREE contest program is N1MM Logger+, my personal favorite. Google will find them for you.

73, Bill W6WRT

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    For contest work, WriteLog is the one I use.  Love it.  Been sending him money and using the program for years.  I have tried the others every so often, still do not find one that meets my style like WriteLog,   I am always a RTTY contester and sometimes a CW one. Never tried it on SSB.

For general logbook stuff, I use others, Have not been happy with any of them for one reason or another - so I send all of them money every year and download the free ones every six months  hoping one will get the right combo for how I operate. All about program style meeting a persons operating style. And interfacing to the Flex API is a big plus for me - Not many programs do.

For my MAC - I am a Dog Park fan - have been for a long time. 

Good luck on picking the one you like.  And don't feel bad if you try them all and still not feel happy.  I keep going back to - if you want something a certain way, grab the C# book and write it yourself - but I just don't have the time yet.

Cheers

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi chaps,

I have chosen my logbook...Log4OM. I love itI

I was just thinking of WriteLog being a handy log/digi mode program to be able to operate and log in one program rather than 2.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Strangely enough, I'm currently using WriteLog as my RTTY software because, with his Flex API integration, MMTTY works in WriteLog when I still don't have it working natively. (Yes, I'm using MMTTY as my RTTY interface.) I like WriteLog, but I'd rather have something that logs directly to Log4OM rather than having to transfer the data manually (or via ADIF file) afterward. Also, I'm only doing RTTY with WriteLog. I can't speak for any of the other modes. Wayne has done a good job of integrating the Flex, however I find his panadaptor display leaves something to be desired, so I don't use that. I just SSDR for tuning, etc.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Duane,

Thanks for chiming in. It was exactly that type of operation I was thinking of.  I was just curious. I have settled on FLDigi for the moment, but I have dabbled with the DxLabs suite. The suite works very well with the Flex, Dave is on hand for help (24/7 like Tim, hi hi) and the documentation is of a very high standard.

Toodle-pip.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Writelog is my favorite contest logging software mainly because I have been using it forever so most things are muscle memory for me.. the new Signature Series integration makes a very good product even better... it costs $30 per year but I am really a fan of paid software because it means that someone has an incentive to keep it up to date in order to get me to part with my $

At NX6T contest station we use WINTEST... mainly because it comes closest to emulating the old DOS Contest Software CT and everyone who is an older contester knows CT.  I am not in love with WINTEST but it works well... 

I am much faster logging with Writelog than N1MM+ or WINTEST.. muscle memory...

I have never used Writelog for regular logging.. I suppose you could but it really lacks logging features found in DXLABS and HRD - both of which I use.

I use Writelog for SSB and RTTY contests.. it is excellent for both.. I would not use it for DXing.. in fact I tend to prefer HDR Logbook with the integrated spots for DXIng but always backup my logs to DXLABS to double check entries.. both have excellent LOTW interfaces...with the slight edge to DXLABS for record keeping.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    UPDATE:- I visited the site last night and saw that a demo has actually been released. The only restriction seems to be that only three contests are supported. I am going to give it a try as a 'regular' logging program, but I am really quite happy with Log4OM but do like trying different programs.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Contest logging programs are handled in the contest community almost like religion.  Most gravitate to the one that they started with and invested much time and effort into learning its short cuts and nuances.  Writelog with its recent 6000 integration is very good, and N1MM + is working closely with flex on issues as well.  The only one that really is being left behind is Wintest, as its interface for both CW and serial integration are falling behind technology wise.  The bottom line is that there are several loggers that are good, and finding the one that works for you is really a personal preference thing.  N1MM is free(!!) and heavily supported.  Writelog is subscription based and is the first to boast api integration.  Wintest is subscription and falling behind but is the EU standard for contest loggers, and boasts rock solid network support. the TOP rtty contesters in the world use Writelog and/or N1MM+ for their excellent rtty interfaces and support for multiple decoders and ergonomics.  I personally just placed 3rd in the World in the SOHP/U category in 2016 RTTY RU using N1MM+ so it would be hard for me not to recommend that program, and W0YK first in the world SOHP using Writelog.. so another good option.  Best bet it to try them and grab onto the one that feels the best fit for you.  JM2C and YMMV.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments and a big slap on the back for the excellent result!
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    No problem Guy and thanks for the kind words.  FWIW I have licenses for WL,N1MM and Wintest since in a multi-op environment we sometimes need to accommodate a various set of logging programs depending on ops.  This and the fact that I used to give a talk on contest loggers at the Visalia contest academy has forced me to familiarize myself with several.    if you have any questions with your program selection I would be happy to help and if I can't I will point you to someone who can..
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Guy, you can found plenty of pisc with my setup in this community, DXlabs works fine with SSDR and other apps , BTW well support via  Yahoo group . I have tested all versions of the Win OS.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.