Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

w2ihy with FRS 6500

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
I am interested in hearing from any of you who have experience with the W2IHY Eq Plus .
The most recent comment I have found is more than a year old.  I have no interest in the 8 band equalizer.  I feel that the equalizer in SSDR is more than adequate to the task.
Many of the reviews of the Eq Plus state that it offers significant extra punch than a standard processor with no distortion.
It is a pricey item and I would like to be sure of it before I plunk down the money.  
The processor in SSDR is okay but I always seek that little bit of extra punch to bust through the piles. My mic is the Radiosport RS60.
Thanks,
Gene K3GC

Answers

• GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hi Gene,

I have both and am very pleased with the performance of the pair.  Feedback from QSOs is always great.  I guess pricey is in the eye of the beholder...nothing like what we paid for our Flexes.  :-)

Gary, AK4ZX

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the response.
    Specifically, do you find that the EQPlus gives you significantly greater punch?  I am a devout DXer and I am always looking for that extra punch.
    I haven't really considered the 8band equalizer.  Do you find it to be a major improvement over  the SSDR version?
    Thanks,
    Gene K3GC
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Julius makes some very good equipment and is a friend of mine.  However, I find the CESSB voice processor (PROC) to be better than any compressor available and the Downward Expander (DEXP) and EQ in SmartSDR are very good too.  I personally do not like any reverb on my voice signal, so that is not a feature I used on the W2IHY equipment.

The only outboard audio hardware I use on my 6700 is a tube-based mic preamp; a VTB1 by StudioProjects to provide a higher input gain level for greater SNR.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I guess the question is, "Can you get your rig to sound the way you want without it? If so, save your money for something else. If not, get one."

I have found that the onboard processing, EQ, and DEXP is all I need.

For many rigs, I am sure the processing and EQ of the EQY box is a very effective addition. But I get all the "punch" I need with the 6500.

BTW, don't mistake "punch" for effectiveness. I have heard many rigs adjusted so that they sound very, very "loud," but they are not very intelligible. They are louder than most of the rest of the pileup, but they still don't win the battle because no one can understand them, it it take several times to get their call or report.

I'll take penetrating clarity over "punch" any day.

If you spend some quality time with your 6000 recording and listening to your signal as you make adjustments to your filters, processor, and TX EQ, you can have one of the best signals out there...providing that you begin with an adequate mic that is clear and articulate. It doesn't take a $400 mike to sound good, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

There are a number of good articles and tutorial videos about how to adjust TX EQ and other elements in your audio profile. Check out stuff by W1AEX, the flex knowledge database, and YouTube videos that I have made, among others. Tim referenced a great article yesterday in another thread. I don't have the link handy right now....sending this from my iPad.

Good luck,

Ken - NM9P
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    "I'll take penetrating clarity over "punch" any day."

Absolutely!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Tim - do you have a print ready formatted copy available?

Thanks and 73

Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.