Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCAT 1.6 potential issue

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
Hi all,
         Been tinkering a bit and came across something.  First let me say this new install after a full system cleanup of SmartSDR 1.6 and no ghosted com ports..

First I went to add a com port, next in line was com10 however it wanted to make it com11 not com10.. I searched and searched and could not find a cause.. no hidden or ghosted com ports, nothing in registry.. when I finally did get it to add a com10 after reboot system showed com11 with a hidden com10 port now on the system..

Next issue I came across was editing an existing com port.. com5 was setup but has slice A selected, wanted to change it to slice B.. selected it, edit slice A to B, save and the system hung... had to reboot.. came back and no more com5.. but com11

So to fix all this so that it would work I removed all listed com ports and rebooted, then added them back one by one.. it still wants to skip com10 and go to com11..

Very odd..

David

Answers

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    David, open a helpdesk ticket. It sounds very similar to an issue I had and it did require some Flex magic (aka Tim) to fix.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The saga continues.... rebooted this morning and all com ports are gone accept... you guessed it.. com11

Ticket opened
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    You have  a Magic PC David, i suggest to open a ticket in HelpDesk.I use Win7 - Win10 - Win10Pro Preview and no issues with COM ports/ DAX and others from Flex. i think you need dedicated advise from FRS.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    check this out

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have this problem, anyone have an idea of the error cause.
    I also saw a setup here for Fldigi and WSJT, where is it?

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    so.. another observation.. I went ahead and removed the ports in Device manager and rebooted.. they are all back
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Burt, can you select the com port and then hit log to see whats going on??
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    David , COM 1 this is physical port ? This port activated via BIOS or disabled ? Have other COM VSP SW - Eltima ?
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Com1 is physical (in BIOS), Com 2 is USB (LP-100A), Com 3 is USB (Elecraft W2), Com 4 is USB for PowerCheck (west mountain radio)

I have no other COM VSP software on he system...  all those ports are listed as FLexradio Virtual Serial Ports
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Looks like some how this port paired and next end is COM11, I suggest switch off COM1 to see what happens , try to delete this COM11 again and with disabled COM try to organize any pair in FlexVSP with COM11( in expert mode) where delete this pair after.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    With help from the helpdesk it's resolved but not resolved.. I can recreate the problem with attempting to add com10... here is what I did to resolve it (keep in mind if I add com10, a reboot shows all com ports gone in SmartSDR CAT but com11, but all previous ports show in Device Manager and NO com11)

1)      Removed Flex Radio VSP
    2)      Removed all left over COM ports (FLEX, ghosted)
    3)      Rebooted
    4)      Checked again, com11 showed up in CAT, removed it
    5)      Rebooted
    6)      No odd com ports so reinstalled Flex VSP
    7)      Rebooted
    8)      all good so added ports back, com5 com6 com7, com8 and com9
    9)      Tested... all worked fine
    10)   Rebooted
    11)   All still good so decided to test.. added com10
    12)   Rebooted
    13)   All com ports GONE accept com11 showed up in CAT
    14)   Device manager shows all (ghosted or hidden)com ports accept com11 that shows up in SmartSDR CAT
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Ah the wondrous world of the Windows Registry. It's mystical and runs on Gravity waves BTW.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The log is blank but see attachedimage
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Burt, if it where me this is what I'd do... remove the com port in SmartSDR CAT, then check your Device manager (show hidden ports and ghosted ports) and make sure it's gone.  Then if it where me I'd go in and JUST remove Flex VSP app.  After that reboot, check ports again in device manager, if all is good migrate to the install folder for your latest flex install, go to (mine happens to be on D drive)
    D:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.6.2164-bit DriversVSP
    in there you will find the "FlexVSPInstaller_64.msi"  May be 32 in your situation, and run it as Administrator, this will reinstall for you.. reboot and setup you're com port again.

You do have a second option that may be simpler, in windows 10 (what I"m running)P if you right click on that FlexVSPInstaller_64.msi you can select "repair".. that might work as well.

David
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Issue officially resolved.  After all this I went fishing some more... in the registry (not for the faint of heart), what I discovered is my neato vacuum's firmware updater created a virtual com port, usb to com, and you guessed it.. left a key in the registry for com10... it dos not show up as hidden, ghosted or anything in device manager yet caused this issue.. sheesh

So I uninstalled the software, checked the registry again... still there... AAAARRRRGGGGGG.. so I forcefully removed the key in the registry.. (dont try this at home)

Tested this morning and tada:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.