Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rear Mic Input Wiring

AE0MW
AE0MW Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
This really seems like something I should know, but I've never really been involved with commercial or "prosumer" audio gear so I'm not sure and could use some pointers.

Due to some long overdue shack reconfiguration, I need to the move my microphone connection from the 8-pin front jack to the rear of my 6500.

The hardware reference document says that the rear balanced input is suitable for a dynamic microphone, but stops short of a recommendation on the best way to wire it.

What is the best way to connect a conventional dynamic microphone to the rear inputs?

My thought is that I should wire the tip and ring of a TRS connector to the MIC+ and MIC- and then PTT to the RCA jack.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this over using the XLR connector?

Currently I'm setup for the 8pin front jack, but I can make adjustments if necessary. I am feeding audio into the 6500 from a NCS-3240 so I have a fair bit of flexibility regarding drive levels, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike AE0MW

Answers

• VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019

Hello,

I have a Heil PR-781 directly hooked to the rear XLR plug, i then use a Heil foot switch to PTT the radio AND the amp.

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    TRS and XLR are equivalent.  Here's a good treatment of how to connect an unbalanced mic to balanced input and the pitfalls:  https://www.presonus.com/news/articles/balanced-unbalanced

Personally, I'd consider springing for a decent mic using XLR balanced connector and take full advantage of the common mode rejection of the 6500 balanced mic input.

73, Barry N1EU
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Marc, I expected that but thanks for the verification!

Barry, thank you for the excellent article. I quickly skimmed it but will read it more thoroughly later. It looks like the primer I need on audio. A quick skim makes me think of balanced audio more like RS-422 differential serial port wiring.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.