Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help - Router - High Latency on WiFi Connection

I just upgraded to 1.6 and also got a new Surface Pro 4. I am trying "REMOTE"  for the first time. I am having a lot of dropouts due to my Wifi connection. It is NOT due to signal level  or other interference.  I first though it was a problem with the Surface Pro but I get the same issues on a laptop. Sometimes it will work perfectly (Excellent)  and then degrade to "Poor". When it works, it works great. I had a 30 minute QSO with great reports.
   The Router is a relatively new Linksys EA6100  AC1200 dual band router. I get the same problem on either  2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz. I have both the Flex6700 and the Surface Pro  set to "High Priority"  in the router.

I highly suspect there is some  latency issue with WiFi through this Router. I like the Router and I hate  to rush out and buy a replacement if it is just a matter of proper setup.  Btw, no problems on any of the hard wired computers, just the WiFi.

Any Ideas?????  

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Start out by doing a scan of your area's other Wi-Fi hot spots. There may be a neighboring device on the same channels you're using. Sometimes, setting the channel manually to a "clear spot" can help a lot. 
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Can you use a wired connection to the router from the laptop to confirm it is a WiFi only issue?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Before you try looking for possible interference, have you tried using the Surface Pro wirelessly adjacent to the router itself?

Jim, K6QE

• Mark - NU6X
    Mark - NU6X Member
    edited September 2016
    Wired connections work perfectly,  just have problems with the WiFi.  I disabled all other devices throughout the house and had just the 6700 wired directly, Internet connection,  and the Surface Pro via WiFi. I am on 5 acres and the closest house is over 600 feet so I don't think its a channel issue but I can try. The problem is the same when I am on the 5 ghz band.  The problem is the same even if I am 5 feet from the Router. It seems that intermittently the router is just slow to send out data via WiFi.  Do you think it may be an intermittent problem in the Router hardware??
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Get off of WiFi. Interference will always be possible. If you must, use 5 ghz for what should be less interference though it may block altogether in some rooms. If you have a proper password connected link, it should be the one used
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

How does the Surface Pro work on WiFi other than using SmartSDR? For example, can you watch a YouTube broadcast without interruption?

Jim, K6QE

• Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I had this same problem that I fixed by re-booting the router. I now do it once a week and have no more problems.
  • Mark - NU6X
    Mark - NU6X Member
    edited September 2016
    The intermittent nature of this problem is very frustrating. For the last 30 minutes I have SmartSDR "Remote" running along with OZY recent youtube video running concurrently on the Surface Pro. I am 50 feet away from the router. Not a single dropout. 
        When I'm experiencing the high latency,  re-booting the router seems to only help the problem for the first couple of minutes only and then it returns.  I'm starting to think it is an intermittent hardware issue in the router.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Have you checked to see you have the latest firmware update?

• ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    You might run a display rate of 10 screens per second and don't have too much, if any, Waterfall. This should reduce your data rate significantly. I find this help when I am using Wifi to a netbook for Flex.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

You might try running your SmartSDR on a computer connected to  you router and, then, using Teamviewer or SoftEther to remote your radio with the Surface Pro and see if the router can handle it.

Jim, K6QE

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Is that a border collie on your avatar?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Close...it's my incarnation of Vishnu
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Please let us know if you get the screen freeze and display adapter message on the Pro 4. Thinking of ditching my Pro 3 for a 4.image
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It sounds like it could be either an interference problem with the router, or a hardware/firmware problem on the router. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for the router? Also, If you are using 2.4 ghz on the router, have you tried changing channels? Use 1, 6, or 11. There are some household devices replrted to cause interference, especially on channel 11. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Additional ideas... Check to see if you have any QOS (quality of service) parameters set for your wireless lines. If so, it may be throttling your wireless connection down. Do you have any other video streaming, security cameras, or other high bandwidth operations connected to the wireless ports at the same time? Just thinking out loud.... Ken - NM9P
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Perhaps some of the Maestro connectivity issues could be alleviated with a mesh WiFi setup: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/
    Netgear announced this product yesterday but there are others.
  • jack
    jack Member
    edited March 2018

The wireless router is like electricity at this point, you only notice it exists but when it stops working different problem arises.There are many unique ways that your router can stop working, but you’d be surprised how many such issues can be easily fixed. For more details visit Xfinity Customer service

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.