Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

K6TU Remote and user review on iTunes

Stu Phillips - K6TU
Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
I want to publicly respond to a review posted on iTunes by Samuel Strongin KF4YOX regarding K6TU Remote:

His review is:
Bought the 30 day trial, it does work won't open, I have the next to the latest generation iPad.  Avoid does not work, ripped off.
KF4YOX contacted me via email over Christmas.  I talked him through the issue and found out why the purchase of the subscription was not persisted on his device.  I also talked him through getting his purchase refunded by Apple (which they promptly did).

I identified the issue (a corner case if ever there was one) and am in the process of submitting the fix to Apple.  I am aware of one other instance of this problem which was also refunded by Apple (and just as promptly!).

Apple's own policy requires that non-renewing subscriptions are made available to all the appropriate devices the user owns.  So if you purchase a subscription on one iPad, it works on ALL the iPad devices you own.

Apple's recommended way to handle this is via the iCloud per-application key value store which is encrypted per user/per application.

Unfortunately KF4YOX didn't have an iCloud account configured on his device and iOS provides NO way for an application to detect this.

So until version 1.4 is released, please insure that your iPad is registered and logged into a valid iCloud account if you intend to purchase a subscription.  Having your iPad signed into iCloud is required for using "Find my iPad" and a number of other application services provided by Apple so it is unusual to find a device not logged into a valid iCloud account.

I appreciate KF4YOX bringing this to my attention and wanted to make sure the issue is known here while I get it fixed.

To all those of you who have written positive reviews and have sent me separate emails with feedback and suggestions for improvements, a very sincere thank you!

As a reminder, your Radio and your iPad Wifi must be on the same subnet in order for the app to see (and open) the Radio.  This will also be true for Maestro.  Over Christmas while on vacation I also talked a couple of folks through this problem and quickly resolved it.  This is highlighted on the support web site for the app but it doesn't harm to mention it again here.

I believe very strongly in first class customer support - if you have any issues with either K6TU Remote or K6TU Control, please contact me and I will get you up and running!

73!
Stu K6TU

Comments

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have nothing but the highest praise for Stu and his app. I was having some issues and he took the time to call me up and help me fix the problem. Nobody makes a perfect product. Not Flex Apple or Stu, but it is the service you get after the sale that matters. Thanks Stu
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SMH. Stu, you are a gentleman and a professional. I don't think I could have been so kind.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Its understandable at one one level.  I was able to get Samuel guided through his refund but never got a response to the second issue about not seeing the radio on the chooser which is alway due to a subnet mismatch between the radio and the WiFi.

That's why I made this post - a) to give people a heads up and b) to remind about the requirement for a common subnet for radio and Wifi.

Many consumer grade WiFi units configure by default as a router not a bridge.  To get the same subnet, you must bridge.

Stu K6TU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.