Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ARRL 160m CW with 6500

2»

Comments

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Burt "Why am I better teacher when I have more Asian students? <snip>"

Probably for the same reasons that I am a better dentist when I have a patient who listens to me and accepts my advice, rather than having some argumentative a-hole in the chair who thinks they know more than I. Best not to get me started on child patients with useless parents.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Also in California is where the 40 child classroom was developed. When class size becomes that overcrowded it no longer is teaching, its warehousing, despite teachers best efforts. They devoted a whole Front line ( or Nova,) to the subject. So, I stand corrected, the taxpayers share some of the blame as well.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    And my wife's favorite complaint, parents who think they know more about education than teachers with MEd and PhDs in the field. If one does not value education, or public education, they construct this world view where they are the Expert and no one else knows what they are talking about. You see this in schools, especially with problem children and, frankly, right here.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Expert on everything. No. But I do know what I don't know a **** thing about. Don't ask me about art or music. I don't have a clue. Blame the teachers. All other things being constant school performance continues to drop. Somebody has to take responsibility. In my immigrant ghetto education was not prized You were expected to go to work at 16 to help feed the family. We were lucky that we had great teachers who drilled into us the value of education so we were encouraged to debate our parents and finish school. I still had to work to help out. In the commercial world when my products failed it was my fault not my customers. Yet in your world it's always the customers fault. Richer neighborhoods Kids usually do better. True. Rather obvious answer richer parents tend to have higher IQ which they pass off in their genes to their offspring. Easier to teach smarter kids. Yes one can blame the parents for the gift of genes.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No, one can blame the parent for having no books, not supporting the 'joy' of learning, whether it is in a classroom or in the back yard. If the child picks up on, which they will, that education and learning new things is not valued by their parents, they will not value it either. Even giving flight instruction, if the student, generally an adult, is not ready to learn, all the flight instructor is doing is yapping at them as he flies the 'student' around. Also, if a child does not get feed properly and get enough sleep they are not ready to learn. Generally, and I stress generally, the teacher is the last person to blame on the blame list. As is highly evident by much of what Burt says, teaching is something the teacher really has to be vested in doing as a vocation. When you have 150 to 200 students each day it is draining. It is WAY easier to design software.

It is not the IQ of the parents, it is the willingness to learn, the willingness to instil the intrinsic value of learning, and the internalized realization that education is crucially important to the child’s future. My wife has taught in a low income school, those kids were, on a whole, ready to learn. It was of the utmost importances to their immigrant parents that their children have a better life future than they have/had.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I will add this when the subject of the Newtown shootings came up in the teacher's room no one thought the teachers that died were heroes. Why? Because it is our job to protect the students. When I ask the students what is the most important thing I do they say, "protect us." I look forward to September and not to June. The attached is way more valuable than the pay checkimage
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Burt, do you have a lot of 504's there? I am thinking specifically of the one you mentioned previously.

Also, thank you for, again, reiterating my point. People don't go into teaching because, "aw shucks, I didn't get offered SVP of Product Marketing".
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Burt, Walt and I could debate this forever and never agree. I think it's time we stopped hijacking the 160M topic and close this thread.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Walt I mentioned a disability case before?
    Howard, you are right talking about using a 6500 on CW is much more important.
    Although the thread did stray, it is refreshing to hear the views of highly intelligent people that own Flex then hear the views of some on Facebook who base their station in life on the size of their truck. It takes no brains to have a big truck, it takes brains to use a Flex

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.