Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Elecraft MD2 "Heil Sound" Mic to Flex 1500

KD7YDW
KD7YDW Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
I have an old Elecraft MD2 Heil Sound desk Microphone and
would like to wire up an adaptor to work with Flex 1500. The only button on the mic is the PTT. My understanding is the resister was added on the MD2 to increase auido level so it might not be necessary when connected to the Flex 1500.

The Elecraft MD2 pin out is:            Flex 1500 pin out:

1=AF (5.6K resister to 5V)                      1=N.C.
2=PTT                                                            2=N.C.
3=N.C.                                                            3=5V
4=N.C.                                                            4=Mic(-) Mic ground?
5=N.C.                                                            5=Mic (+)
6=5V                                                               6=PTT
7=GND                                                           7=Chassis Ground (PTT GND)
8=GND (PTT GND)                                     8=N.C

Would the correct wiring be?

MD2                                                   Flex

1=AF (5.6K resister to 5V)           5=Mic (+) 
2=PTT                                                6=PTT
6=5V                                                   3=5V
8=GND (PTT GND)                        7=Chassis Ground (PTT GND)
7=GND                                               4=Mic (-) Mic ground?

Im worried about the resister applying voltage to pin 5 on the Flex. 

I would appreciate any input.

Regards,
Robert
KD7YDW

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This is a condenser type mic so it needs the +5VDC bias on the mic+ line.  You do not need the mic bias resister (it is already installed in the 1500 along with a filter cap) and jumper blocks installed, so the mic will need to be configured for a K3 not a K2.  I think this will work, but no promises as I don't have one of these mics to try out.

Mic Connector to FLEX-1500

1 Mic audio, low-Z (~600 ohms)  -> 1500 pin 5 (mic+)
    2 PTT -> 1500 pin 6
    3 DOWN button 
    4 UP button
    5 FUNCTION button
    6 8V (10 mA max) -> 1500 pin 5
    7 Ground -> 1500 pin 4
    8 Ground -> 1500 pin 7

• KD7YDW
    KD7YDW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    You have mic pin 6 (8v) going to 1500 pin 5 (mic+).  Did you mean to have mic pin 6 (8v) going to 1500 pin 3 (5V)?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.