Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What's going on at 3.915 & 3.905 mhz?

Options
Ken Davis
Ken Davis Member ✭✭
When tuning on 80m when I pass through 3.915 and 3.905mhz I hear a relay clicking in the radio. It doesn't matter if I am going up or down the band. Sometimes it will move the noise floor line up or down by -5 to -8. Sometimes also the background of the Panadapter will slightly change intensity. As best I can tell, the signals I receive either above or below 3.915 are unaffected. 
The question is: What is the relay all about?  Why does the noise floor line move?
Thanks for any input.
Ken
W0KRD

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me. Is your ATU enabled?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Can you turn off the ATU and retest?  
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    pse disregard as Salvador beat me to the suggestion.
    Tim
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    :)
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OK, just turned off ATU and it quit!! Well snap.  Tim you got it.  Inquisitive minds want to know, why is it so???
    Thanks a bunch.
    Ken
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sorry I did not see your response Salvador, thanks to you too...
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's the ATU memory selecting a different Tune setting based on the frequency. Totally normal.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No worries. :) I am lurking on the forum waiting for the 1.6 announcement to pop up and just going through every single post! 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    At least you replied right away. The other day I took the time to post a complete tutorial with pictures on how to setup something on N1MM and the person that asked hasn't even acknowledge the answer. That was almost a month ago. 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Somewhere in the SDR software manual it talks about how the ATU works.  Something like every 100Kc it sets up a new tuning data set  for the particular band.  I've noticed with my end-fed ATU code can sometimes do it more frequently and when you roll past one of the "node points" the ATU relays click for the next setting.  It also seems a wide band, 80 to 75 meters, one can tune the lower CW portion and if you meander up-dial to the top end of 75, the ATU won't have the tuning settings (at first run) and drop out / off.  Once the entire band is tuned it's saved.

Once setup the ATU is pretty much transparent except for an occasional click.

Before ATU memories, just changing modes (CW to RTTY) would require a retune.  It's nice to bee past that minor inconvenience.

Tim

• Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oh that is great information. Thanks for the education.
    Ken
    W0KRD
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I get a similar clicking when tuning around, not that often though and I do not have the ATU installed. IIRC, it happens whilst tuning through top band
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    check ATU, preamp, antenna selection settings etc. as these are all "per-band" and may (will) change as you slide out of a designated ham band in to general/broadcast bands. Also, watch for any button/slider changes on-screen as the relay clicks in/out that should tell you what is changing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.