Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Operating SSB from a local LAN Attached PC using SSDR 1.5.1

Bill Roberts
Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Back in the days of SSDR 1.3 and 1.4.16, I had loaded SSDR on a WiFi locally attached laptop(dual core...  8 years old) to see if it would work.  All I had to do was bring up SSDR on the Ethernet (I7 Win 8.1) attached PC next to the radio, press the REMOTE button at the top of the screen.  Then I would run SSDR on the ancient laptop.  It would handle RX more or less OK but ran out of gas when I tried transmit.  So, I abandoned that effort.

Today, I tried loading SSDR on an Ethernet attached PC in our family room (complete with 80 inch flat screen and good sized sound system).  First, I discovered that using the old approach (pressing REMOTE on the machine next to the radio) did not work because although Family Room PC saw the radio, it was BUSY and not accessible.  I then closed SSDR on my shack PC and ran it on the Family room PC (now Windows 10/64 bit).  It saw the radio and brought it up on the 80 inch flat screen.  I had difficulty getting the RX and TX audio working through either the home theatre speakers (RX only) or TX/RX through a USB headset/boom mic.

Assuming I just want to play the audio through my home theatre speakers, how do I handle DAX.  I tried assigning DAX RX 1 as the primary playback device, pressed REMOTE but that didn't work.  Note, to play back iTunes for Windows on the Family Room PC, I set the AV Receiver "Display Monitor" as the default playback device.  My first question is how to I set the PC (Windows 10, DAX, etc.) up to play SSDR through the home theatre speakers?  In other words, how do I get DAX RX audio into the PC and out the home theatre speakers?

A related question would be how to set up for RX/TX audio through the USB headset/mic while still displaying SSDR on the big TV.

I have read the SSDR user's manual and Tim's various articles and can't get it to work.  Is it Windows 10?

Patient, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.  Thanks and 73

Answers

• Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Figured it out:
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When you run from remote on your computer, The sound devices used for receive and transmit on your laptop are located in the play and record section of Windows. You might need to re-define them in the record and playback set up . You don't need to involve DAX. Just set your default recording devices to the computers Mike input, and the playback device to the channel your speakers are connected to. EDIT: I had this post halfway entered and got called away for an hour. When I returned and hit enter, I saw that you had already solved it. Congratulations.....
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks.  It was pretty simple.  What later threw me was how DAX, SSDR or my experimentation played with the audio out and specifically the HDMI audio out on my family room computer.  I use this inexpensive 2 X 64 bit core PC also as a CD player (iTunes for Windows).  Our AV receiver wasn't getting Dolby output once I was done with SSDR.  Live and learn.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.