Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WAN and Maestro

Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I decided this was worth its own conversation.

In the "SmartSDR v1.5 WLAN?" conversation, Ken mentions:  "I want my Maestro to work to my radio (wherever it is, maybe moving from
antenna farm to antenna farm?) from wherever I may be (maybe beauty shop, buttoned down corp. network, etc.)."

Until native WAN is implemented, I don't think any of the current VPN solutions will work for the Maestro unless FlexRadio includes a VPN client inside Maestro.

I can imagine a Maestro WAN solution that involves generating an additional local WiFi hotspot on a device (laptop maybe?) that implements a VPN client or VPN site-to-site bridge, but this is becoming unreasonably complex.

So, will it not be possible to reasonably operate Maestro via WAN until FlexRadio ships WAN support in 2.0?

73, Bob, N7ZO

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    We asked Gerald about this when we say the Maestro just before Dayton. Having the Maestro connect over the Wan was a very defined goal and based on what Tim says, it will be in V2.x. However, since the Maestro is a Windows based device it could also have a built in VPN client which would be a very good idea. Remember, when the internet was designed, it was never designed to be secure (sadly).
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the confirmation of Maestro WAN support in 2.0.  But since Maestro is supposed to ship Q4 2015 and 2.0 is more in the Dayton 2016 timeframe, I was wondering about the interim.

Maybe FlexRadio could embed SoftEther in both ends and have a solution.  (Only half jesting.)

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'll let Tim jump and share what he is allowed to share.  :)

However, as someone who works in the software development world as a Program Manager, I fully understand why you won't get a full commitment date and why this becomes the 'it will be ready when its ready' discussion.

I'm 99.9% sure they would love to say it will be ready by 'X'.  However we have long learned that it is very dangerous to do that as software does and will always have bugs, and until you actually get to the point where you have a working stable model you don't let the cat out of the bag.  

That doesn't really help anyone today, other than Flex's software development model is the same as everyone else that writes software for a living today.  

Many 73
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Michael,

I am not concerned about the actual dates.  I understand things will ship when they are ready.  I was hoping to avoid further date discussions (yes, I know I mentioned dates in my previous post - my fault) and have a technical discussion about Maestro and WAN.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Maestro will not have the ability to run third-party programs.

If used on a bridged VPN connection, you will be able to operate it remotely in that manner.  To operate using an Internet based connection without VPN specific hardware (routers) will require SmartSDR v2.x
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    As far as 'unreasonably complex', if you listen carefully to what Steve has said on the topic, I suspect many will view WAN in general as, 'unreasonably complex'. Having spent years in software development in the security space, it will be a challenge to have it be consumer friendly. Perhaps rather than starting the drm beating now, let's all give it about a year.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.