Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IW7DMH FlexController

George Steube
George Steube Member
edited May 2020 in New Ideas

Here is my version of IW7DMH's Flex Controller.  Enzo, IW7DMH, has done a fantastic job of putting this together. It incorporates both knobs and a touch screen to control a Flex 6000 series radio.  The interface is via ethernet and use an Arduino DUE board along with a couple of Arduino shields to provide the ethernet interface and screen control.  Check out Enzo's website for more information on this project.
73, George
W2GS

Comments

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    George....it looks great....u did a nice job....do u have an estimate of material costs......this could be a nice winter project!

Steve
  • James Whiteway
    edited August 2015
    Great job! I too plan to build one of Enzo's controllers. James WD5GWY
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That's great!  Where did you get the parts? Does he sell it as a kit?  What was the cost?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    So this looks like the cost is about $225 USD unless I'm missing something.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hello dear friends,

George did a better job than me as he used cheaper rotary encoders and built and dedicate board for debouncing circuit.

Also, during the days George built his controller, he helped me to revisit and correct each assembly and testing procedure.

I would like to say that I am only aimed by interest in Flex techonologies. Building devices is only a secondary effect, but, as you can see, my experiment can be repeated.
    Now I am in vacancy and I can't have full access to Internet, but as soon as I can, I'll publish a new version of my libraries.

These new libraries will be used for my next project, and can be compiled also on AVR platforms, like the Mega board. I worked on them to expose events for each object's properties. Also you'll find "setter methods" for each property and this will help you to interact with Flex objects at a higher level.

I hope this can help other friends that would like to experiment with the powerful Flex technologies.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • Anthony Bowyer
    Anthony Bowyer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Looks very interesting. Any part numbers for the encoders??
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    It looks like there may be a number of us who would be interested in this project....I corresponded with Enzo and George with the idea we start a Google Group. It would ease the emails going to Enzo and George from all of us and we could all share our knowledge...parts lists....success and failures....construction techniques and maybe even a vol. discount on hardware etc.

Enzo and George thought it was a good idea and both agreed to participate.....

so the question is what does everyone think.....is a Google Group the best approach? How many of you would participate.....what should we call the group?

look forward to your response....

Steve
    K3WKM

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I used CTS288V, while George used this ones that do a fine job as well.
    You can find all hardware references on this page
  • Anthony Bowyer
    Anthony Bowyer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Might be a good idea
  • Anthony Bowyer
    Anthony Bowyer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thank for the info. I assume a different encoder for slice/vfo tuning?
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oh, yes,
    also these encoders are listed in the hardware page. You have to search for "incremental 400 pulse rotary encoders" or "high speed rotary encoder". It seems EBay is plenty of these NOS VFO encoders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incremental-Optical-Rotary-Encoder-400-pulse-CNC-Servo-Stepper-Motor-Control...

Another better, but more expensive, alternative is a 256 pulse optical encoder like the one used in the Elecraft K3
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/optical-rotary-encoders/1642633/

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh

• Peter
    Peter Member
    edited August 2015
    I think a group would be a great idea. I am also very interested in this project.

Peter
    ve3pcd
  • Claus, OE6CLD/EI7JZ
    edited June 2016
    I'm very interested as well - great job!

Claus
    OE6CLD/EI7JZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.