Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

The ability to explicitly assign sound devices

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in New Ideas
I have a lot of sound devices on the computer I run SmartSDR on.  Many programs will only use the "default" sound device while others have the ability to assign a specific sound device to their application.  It would be really nice if SmartSDR had the ability to use any playback and recording sound devices and not require them to be assigned as the default devices.

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Norm, I use this little program
    http://audioswit.ch/er
    which lives in the task bar. You can switch audio devices to default with it. I need it only for EasyPAL, as SmartSDR itself does not need default sound devices only. I use Audacity to record and can assign DAX RX/TX to it, although they are not the default sound devices. If you, for example, want to play back sound to a ham, who wants to hear his modulation, just click DAX and MOX and PLAYBACK on Audacity and you'll output the recorded signal.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Alex.  I really don't want to be clicking on anything or loading anything every time I want to use a different device.  As an example, I may want to have music or OS sound to come out of the main speakers and have SmartSDR in the Remote mode coming out of my USB headset or maybe my wireless headset with boom mic.   I often use a wireless headset with SmartSDR in Remote but like to have other sound coming out of the computer speakers.   The ability to use specific sound devices should really be built into the SmartSDR software - then it is seamless and versatile. 

Norm
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I understand that, Norm, but this is a Windows problem.
    Windows was, and regrettably still is, an OS which was
    primarily designed for EDV, not multimedia. I look forward to SmartSDR being ported by someone to OS X :-)
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I’ll vote for that!!!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Prior to my Flex, I used a Signalink USB with HRD.  I was able to tell HRD to use the Signalink and was able to listen to my music through the desktop speakers.   I don't believe this is a PROBLEM with windows and I get sort of tired of people dissing windows and telling folks OS X is the fix for everything.  Now if you want to promote Linux, I'm game.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok, Linux is great 8-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.