Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help with MMTTY and FSK setup

Options
Vincent Martin - N5ATM
Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Third-Party Software
Hello all,

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get SmartSDR to do FSK to MMTY.  I have a custom FSK/CW/PTT interface on hardware com1 connected to the db15 connector. I have spent several days searching websites, including this one and have yet to get this accomplished.  With other radios is was simple.  Has anyone set this up?  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

P.S.  Just trying to get MMTY setup at this point.  Not N1MM or anything else.  Also, I know the interface works correctly as I have used it on other radios.

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Vincent,

The 6000 series doesn't do FSK, just AFSK at this time.  Also, your custom interface is not required do actually run AFSK.    With most hardware based radios, you have an FSK jack that you ground to do the actual 'shift' while in TX mode.  With SSDR, you send audio FSK from MMTY (if MMTTY does AFSK.. not sure) via DAX to the radio.  All you have to do after that is put the radio in TX mode (or use the Vox).

Maybe at some point, Flex will support true FSK with a virtual com port.

I hope that helps you out some.

mike va3mw
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Another big vote for true FSK sometime before ver. 2 of the software - and maybe a few RTTY twin bandpass filters?
    Here's hoping its on the list . . .

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Walt, we should collect likes for that proposal. I regularly use FSK with my IC-756PRO, which has a dedicated twin bandpass filter. I really would like that in my Flex-6500.
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Michael,

Ok, that explains why I couldn't figure it out.  It seems like they would put the fact that you can't do FSK in the manual so people like me don't **** their head on the wall trying too.  I saw the reference to the FSK/CW pin on the db15 port in the hardware manual and logically assumed it would do FSK.  **** me.  lol

Thanks for clearing that up.

P.S. Hey Flex, the road map should have been layed out to provide traditional radio modes and options as the first priorities, THEN all the cool stuff the radio can do afterwards. 
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    people here should vote / like on the topic 'FSK for RTTY by Ed baker - it seems that topic is a place where interested people are voting over the last few days. Hope all this makes a difference
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tnx, did just cast my vote ;-)
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Don't hold your breath on any RTTY enhancements, they seem far down the priority list at Flex.  Been waiting on them since the first 6700 hit the market many many moons ago. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.