Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are the Flex-6000 antenna ports center and shield conductors short to ground when the radio is OFF?

EduardoCarvalho
EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Are the Flex-6000 antenna ports center and shield conductors short to ground when the radio is OFF?

I have an attic antenna and when I am not using the radio I disconnect it from the radio and short the center and shield to the common house ground, same as the power supply ground. My goal is to make the antenna look like any other piece of wire in the house. I do not have a surge protector in-line with the feed.

Also, would it be beneficial to have a surge protector in-line with the antenna in my current setup?

Note that my HF antenna, Alpha Delta DX-EE, has a built in surge protector.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017

No, they do not.

Also, would it be beneficial to have a surge protector in-line with the antenna in my current setup?

Yes, always - add one now.  The probability of a direct strike is very low.  The probability of getting a strong and damaging EMP (electromagnetic pulse) from a near strike is much, much greater.  I live in the #2 lightning capital of the US (central NC) and in the past 20 years, the house across the street has been hit twice (and I am 35' higher in elevation) and a very near direct strike (300') along with numerous strikes within a 1/4 mile.  I have never sustained any damage to my radios.  I do use an antenna switch to ground the center pin and disconnect the radio and I swear by the lighting arrestors based on the ICE design (now made by Morgan Manufacturing and Array Solutions).  In addition to handing EMP events, they also drain off DC static.  The 300' near strike smoked one of the ICE arrestors but left the radio equipment unharmed.  It was the best radio insurance I have ever purchased.

However, you need to make absolutely certain that you have a low impedance and high voltage connection between the arrestor and an earth ground that is outside.  In the case of your antenna, if your coax shield is not earth grounded, the lightning arrestor is not going to be very effective. The re-directed energy must have an adequate path to ground to be effective.   I have mine in a NEMA enclosure mounted to a copper backplane and the ground rods are no more than a foot away. 
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited June 2015
    pictures please Tim :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.