Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro and iMac.

Options
Jim Elias
Jim Elias Member
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Let me begin by stating I love my 6300! I have never had a radio like it and so enjoy the experience. That being said, I am NOT a windows guy. I use an iMac 27 I5 16GB ram and run the SDR via Windows7 pro in boot camp. It works quite well. My question: with the new Maestro, will I be able to operate the 6300 and revert back to my iMac for logging? I prefer MacLoggerDX but for now am using Log4OM. Please forgive the newbie question if this has been asked previously. Thanks! Jim AJ0IM

Answers

• Mike - ZL1MRC
    Mike - ZL1MRC Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi Jim,  I am also a MAC user using Parallels and Win7 and MacLoggerDX.  I would also like to see some support for MAC.  Currently I am putting up with it, however I hope one day Flex will support the MAC Community.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    My understanding is the Maestro is a stand-alone replacement for a computer, and that with Maestro, no computer is needed, so I'm not sure how a Mac (or Windows PC) would be involved.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jim I too am a Mac user and currently operate a Mac running bootcamp on one machine and MacLoggerDX on an iMac. It is also my understanding that with the Maestro I do not see any need for the PC.

The only issue I foresee is that of the digital modes. I begrudgingly run Fldigi on windows but would prefer to move it to the iMac, unfortunately I do not think this will work. What would be nice is if someone developed a Mac/DAX utility that appeared as a local audio device but communicated with the Flex as a DAX device. 

I wonder if there are enough Mac / Flex users to fund a Kick Starter to get a SmartSDR for Mac developed. :)

My hope is the Maestro will eliminate 90% of my need for a PC.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes indeed, we Mac users are hungry for a native solution. Maestro will (if I understand properly) eliminate the need for a Windows PC, since there's one baked into the Maestro console. A Mac can be used for logging and control also (Mac Logger DX is excellent in this category). The biggest stumbling block is getting DAX to work with the Mac. Since the DAX audio is on the network, it seems that a software interface could be created. I'm toying with learning enough to be dangerous and trying it myself, but haven't started yet. Digital modes work great on my Mac with a Signalink USB, and should do likewise from the Maestro console.
  • Jim Elias
    Jim Elias Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    HI Mike, 
    Yes, we are ever hopeful! I tried Parallels first, but did not like the way it worked. Maybe I should give it another try.
    Jim
  • Jim Elias
    Jim Elias Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wasn't sure Mark, so thought I would ask.
    Thanks
    Jim
  • Jim Elias
    Jim Elias Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey Lee,

I run fldigi in the Windows environment and it works well enough. I am not a big digital user but it is nice to have when I want to go and check it out for a while. Based on what I read so far, I am seriously considering the Maestro!

Jim
  • Jim Elias
    Jim Elias Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    HI George,
    Thanks for the response. I think I am going to get in line for a Maestro!
    Best,
    Jim
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You can still use your Mac for logging with a Maestro.  
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thats the great thing about MacLoggerDX, it talks directly to the 6000 series via ethernet. So it is independent of the box that is displaying the waterfall.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.