Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for Amplifier for working with my Flex 6300: suggestions are welcome!

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My Ameritron 811 (one year old ) passed away today after working with my new flex 6300.....cause: unknow....reason why I'm began a search for a new one (don't need more than 1K). I've been think in Acom 1010 & 1000; but after Ameritron I feel afraid of tubes and my flex...reason why I look to Acom 600S. Anyone knows if its easy to connect flex6300 and Acom 600s?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

What are the drive requirements of your 811 amplifier? Do you suppose you inadvertently over drove it? There has been a recent thread of having Flex set the power to lower values as a default. Several have complained that it defaults to 100 Watts and that might have been your problem. You might end up with the same problem with any other amplifier that requires less drive.

Jim, K6QE

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    To tell the truth I guess it was that happened....I have had used for a year with my kenwood 480SAT with No problem....I connected to my flex today was chasing an AO150 (Spain 150years IARU)...and changed band to 17mts...and did not check RF power.....it will be good  "default" to 10 watts.....Now 'm looking new amplifier :-/
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It requires 70 watts......could go to 100...but its not recommendable by manufacturer  
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited June 2020
    I use an Elecraft KPA500 and matching KAT500 tuner with my 6300 and they work fine.  It is the 2nd picture on my QRZ page: http://www.qrz.com/lookup/kq1q
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I sold my TL-922A and ALS600 and am now running the ACOM 1000 with my 6300 one year now. VERY happy I did.
    I have tune power set to 20watts and power out set to around 60 watts in each band profile otherwise the amp' s micro complains of overdriving when I tune. The Acom 1K will run 1200 watts but shines at 1000 watts all day any band any mode 6-160. 1K on RTTY is nice! Also will tune up to 3:1 SWR. Would do it again, price point is right for me any way. Solid amp!
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I second the Elecraft KPA500 amp and KAT500 tuner.  It will literally turn your 6300 into a 500-watt transceiver.  Changing bands is effortless. 
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Or, you could repair it? do the tube filaments light up?  Is there any B+ (high voltage) ?  A new transformer is not that expensive..

JM2C...73

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tubes looked OK...but something went wrong an spark burned meters lights and led light turn off...i will send to repair...but don't wanna expose my flex on risk connecting it.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What amp can handle AM? I have a TL-922 but no WARC bands.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I use a Yaesu Quadra. It works seamlessly and gives a solid 1K.

If I were looking today I would probably look hard at the Expert 1.3K-FA.

Jon...kf2e
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Can they handle the duty cycle of AM?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

When you get the 811 amp repaired, please let the group know what went wrong and the probable cause.

Jim

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    The Quadra manual says it can do 500 watts continuous for 1 hour. It doesn't specifically mention AM.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Generally speaking, a linear is capable of approximately 1/4 continuous power of a SSB linear. Also remember that the peak power of an AM signal is 4 times the average carrier signal for 100 percent modulation.

Jim

• Kevin Mahoney
    Kevin Mahoney Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I use both a Heathkit SB-200 and an SB-220 (not together obviously) with great results. 
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited May 2015
    The KPA500 manual says 500 watts key down for 10 min, followed by 5 min stand by, etc. For most applications that would work, but it might cramp the style for AMers to restrict a single transmission to only 10 minutes :) Of course if they could fit within 10 min they'd have plenty of time to cool down before the next transmission.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Key down with continuous carrier does not imply you can run 500 Watts on AM. For 100 percent modulation a carrier of 500 Watts key down would have to be able to run 2000 Watts peak power. If the amplifier was rated at 500 Watts was modulated at 100 percent there would be distortion. One has to keep the power to approximately 1/4 the rated key down power to avoid this distortion.

Jim

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I am not an AMer that goes more than 10 minutes. I currently also have an IC2KL I run at 100 watts on AM but the fan sounds like a jet taking off
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited February 2019
    Just to be clear, as Jim said due to the 4:1 ratio between AM PEP and carrier power, the unmodulated max key down for the KPA500 in AM might be about 125 watts. In AM you'd still be getting 500 watts on a fully modulated signal.  Due to the intermittent nature of that modulation, I'd expect the KPA500 could continue an AM phone transmission for quite a while -- certainly longer than 10 min. although I haven't see any spec.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I bet at 2 minutes a fan would come on that sounds like a jet
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    If I had to start from scratch, I'd consider:

http://www.w6pql.com/1_kw_sspa_for_1_8-54_mhz.htm

73, w5xz, dan

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wow! Joe!! Amazing Pictures.....I saw you're photographer too!...picture from your Flex, KPA500 and KAT500 is Awesome!!
    I will take a look to Elecraft-..... Thanks for your suggestion....

George
    YV5WZ
    http://www.qrz.com/db/YV5WZ
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It's amazing you are still alive after looking at the first picture,
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The Acom 1000 won't work on 120v?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, driving them at 100 Watts when they only need 70 is why I see so many really wide signals on the bands...

Accidents happen, as in your case, bu some folks do it on purpose because their meters say they are getting out better. By the way, I hear good things about the ACom 1010, it is relatively forgiving, easy to tune, tolerates up to 3:1 SWR. I wish I had one. Maybe someday....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lol, Burt! We have all let reason and safety go out the window a time or two when we were young and excited (read that foolish!) I managed to get my hand across the plate cap of a 2e26 tube, about 600 volts, when I was 16 years old. I have been living on borrowed time for the past 40 years. BTW, I ALWAYS double check the power supply twice before working on equipment, even with 12 volts!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Joe, that is precisely my environment with my 6500.
    We share very similar interests, I got emComm certified via the ARRL courses, and hold a commercial multi-engine license. I am very impressed with the 3D storm images...really nice!
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So....Radio Ham Amateurs....Photography. ...and Aircraft Pilots....let's add motorcycles ... :)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I sold my Honda 350 to a cop in Reston, VA in 1979. I think that was the last time I was on one. However, it wasn't the last time I thought about buying another.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.