Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is new for the Dayton Hamvention 2015?

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Come listen to the music....

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Quick Bing search reveals... DJ Maestro, born and raised in the Boogie Down BX... was influenced by dj’s like Funk Master Flex... A musical guest at the banquet! ;-)
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Heard no comments yet on the Noise reduction. I have Been A/Bing it with my Icom 7800. I have to say it beats the Icom. I have NEVER used a better noise blanker. Mr. Flex...you did  your homework well and results are outstanding! Thank you!

Jim, K6QE

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Due to the restless icon at the web site I'll speculate that when it stops rotating it will show a new product, possibly a 6000 series replacement for the 1500 but which uses SmartSDR and lists for $999.

Anyone else???
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I look for attachments on the bottom of the 6000's that allows the radios to walk on water.
  • Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have started to get emails from Innov-antennas and the New Ten-Tec./Alpha Amplifier companies regarding Dayton Bargains. I will be anxious to see what Flexradio will be offering. A reduced price  on the 6500 or 6300 would be nice.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You can count on discounts for our radio products.  We even have radios at the show to sell too, but quantities are limited,
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Hmmm...  What has 2 knobs, 12 buttons, a usb connector, bluetooth, wifi, and a key jack or
    built-in iambic paddle?

Maestro, the Flex rig director.

Well, no, maybe that's a bit much.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hmmm indeed...  I do believe there is going to be a lot to talk about at the dinner.
    Looking forward to it.
    Clay N9IO
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    That is a safe bet ;-)
  • George - AB4FH
    edited June 2020
    I'll make a guess.  The name and image implies a device which allows perfect control of a complex orchestra, like a master conductor.  So, I think it's a control console for the Flex 6000 series to satisfy those hams who want knobs and a dedicated interface.  It probably plugs into the USB port.  I'll even guess that Stu, K6TU helped with the software.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It's a stereo to provide music in the shack, a 6000 with with a CD drive.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It would make more sense for a built-in app to run Pandora.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Or a real wild guess it's a processor box that handles all the various digital applications encode/decode  (with room for growth) that connects to the Flex 6000 series USB port. Then connects to the network to deliver the goods to your PC as an interface.....  Wow is that off the wall!!!! :)
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I do believe you are on the right track with some kind of USB interface. I have my credit card standing by!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What would a Flex 2M radio look like?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

a black box plugged into the USB port?

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Extended Warranty Programs?????
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited June 2019

We have only begun the work on NB.  It is a treacherous technical stream, filled with underwater boulders, and whirlpools.  What was obvious has become complicated by reality but progress is being made and the goal is simple.  Do something new and do it better than anyone has done it before.  The work done on NR and ANF is miraculous in my opinion and no one stands still and pats themselves on the back.  It is continuous striving for the next level of perfection.  2015 is not the beginning for Flex,  but it is the beginning of the end for anyone else having a prayer of working at the level flex is working.  It is amazing to see the road open.....

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I found the NB on the 3000/5000 to be quite miraculous. Adjusting the type of window and the sensitivity would allow me to almost eliminate any kind of impulse noise. Our neighborhood is full of **** growers with those **** heaters. Most of the time, I can completely eliminate the noise.

Jim, K6QE

• Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016

We have eliminated the signal dependent mean NB (NB2).  That was a mistake.  We should put it back in immediately and continue the work towards the true miracle we are aiming for.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Here is my wish list for FRS at Dayton 2015:

• WAN

• An in-shack device to interface to my tuners, amps, watt/swr meters, antenna switches and other local devices that interfaces with my FRS-6x00 series radio in the shack and is controllable via SmartSDR client add-on(s).

• A remote device (at the client device) to let me hook up essentially a **** station at the Client end of SmartSDR

• Share-a-slice Diversity add-on, where I can let another Flex-6x00 GPSDO equipped station share a slice of mine in exchange for a slice of theirs.

Family needs have scuttled my Dayton 2015 travel, so will be very interested to hear what is rolled out!

Steve

K9ZW

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ahhh...  too bad Steve.. was looking forward to your "Amateur Radio Ponderings" blogs regarding Dayton 2015.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Thank you for the kind words - I now know I have at least one reader!

Have ended up with some unexpected eldercare needs and my running mate's son & daughter-in-law apparently were not paying attention to the Dayton Schedule when they got their latest pregnancy started <smile>. 

I do have two general admission passes and bus passes available, and four places for Friday night's CCA dinner.  FRS was very kind and our need to change plans to work with relatives was worked out for cancelling for Saturday's FRS event. 

Really wanted to hear Craig K9CT speak as much as all the other excitement, as he is always up to really interesting things - and does them so very well. 

I am intending to revisit my original pre-release Flex-6x00 series of Blog Articles to see what has come to be, what might still be coming, and where I was all wet. 

What will be really neat to reflect on is where FRS's reality exceeded my pondering & Imagineering from the original articles.  Simply put, "they Rock" and have really put together a class act. 

I'm expecting everyone will be very pleased with Maestro and will leave with a here & now buzz about FRS, and some great ideas on what the future brings.

Wish I would be there, but family first is an easy call to make.

Steve

K9ZW

BLOG - "With Varying Frequency" at http://k9zw.wordpress.com

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I forgot to put my guess in as for what Maestro is - my guess is an all-in-one software client repackaging the functionality SmartSDR, SmartCAT, DDUTIL, DAX and perhaps even fldigi. 

At least that what the name brings to mind when I think about it.

Steve

K9ZW

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

I'm guessing here but since Symphony is taken (Lotus users opine no doubt), Maestro is in the same vein. (Maestro (from the Italian maestro, meaning "master" or "teacher")). One who brings order out of cacophony to create the complex melodies, tones, rhythms that work together to define the composer's vision.

In the HAM radio world chaos is simple to create, the solutions often arduous and complex with many disparate elements that we force to work together. Often as not, we improve in one area but break another birthing one more round of "fiddling" to make it all work again.

I suspect that Maestro is a controller of many things and master of them all. Amps, antenna switches, rotor control, any device needed to work in concert with the radio,

Interfacing via USB, Ethernet local LAN, WAN, FlexWire, and possibly :-) Apple Thunderbolt, etc.

SmartSDR V2.**** will open the Flex 6000 series to the world via WAN Remote. Maestro will add a single network appliance that allows the operator to control all elements of their station via a simple UI in concert with SmartSDR. The UI? It will be drag and drop (eventually if not at the start). Pull down menus for a variety of equipment and frequent updates to cover new gear and updates.

Let's start writing the epitaph to the pioneering days of specialized interfaces, novel solutions that work for one but not many, sleuthing through interconnected webs of cables, interfaces, switches, relays and bundled wires. Building or wiring an interface to add a piece of new gear to the mix.

Many still enjoy the artistry, challenge and innovative solutions of the above and more power to them. My hat is off to you all.

Flex however (all pondering here) is offering a simple, effective path to allow all parts to play together. Be it at the operating desk or from a distant mountain top (assuming decent internet connectivity and throughput is available on that mountaintop).

The "Shack" is your symphony orchestra playing the music you want with you conducting.

Maestro, please...tap, tap, tap...begin.....

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Completely uninformed wish: a platform-Independent interface that allows multi-channel audio streaming and control data to pass to any device on the network with a 6000 series. AirPlay speakers, Macs, Linux boxes, other interfaces. Where the 6000 can play the same music on a symphony of devices.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ooh, a cup holder! Yes!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Completely uninformed wish: a platform-Independent interface that allows multi-channel audio streaming and control data to pass to any device on the network with a 6000 series. AirPlay speakers, Macs, Linux boxes, other interfaces. Where the 6000 can play the same music on a symphony of devices.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Pontoons!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @George - if that happened I would sell my radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.