Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 and SPE 1k, please help

IZ0CBB
IZ0CBB Member
hi
I bought a 6300 Flex recently, I can not connect to 'SPE 1k. Using the connection with this cable:

DB- 9 F   <-------------------------------->   DB-15M

Pin 2   RX232 <--------------------------  Pin 9 TX 232

Pin 3   TX 232  -------------------------> Pin 1 RX232

Pin 5   GND  <---------------------------> Pin 4  GND

I connected also the TX on the rear pannel with the relay jack on the SPE 1k rear pannel.

The CAT controll doesn't works, when I change the band the amplifier does not follow the Flex, but when I go on TX with Flex, the frequency is changed on the amplifer. 
How did you have configured the DDutil? My Flex  is connected to the COM  2 port.
Thank You

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/connecting_an_expert_1k_linear_amp

You cannot send Band Data from the 6300 into the Expert amp directly. Band Data is not available in the current firmware/software version of the 6300. Not even sure if it will be available in the future. You need to use a second USB to Serial from PC to Expert. 

All you should connect from 6300 to Expert 1k is the RCA to RCA for TX, not even the ALC, as you should set the max power manually. 

You can set max power with DDUtil and if you use a second USB-to-Serial from the PC to the Expert 1k you can send band data through the passive listen port on DDUtil as explained in the post I copied at the beginning of this comment.

Good luck.
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi 
    I know about this post, but I can understand where I' m wrong. I need the screenshot of DDUtil, maybe I can found the errors. I think that the cable connection is correct and the problem is in the software setup
    On the top of DDUtil I'm reading " Not connected". 
    Thanks 

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    On the 1K-FA
    1.   Set CAT to "RS232"
    2.   Set Baud Rate to "9600"

Did you set it up with RS232 or with Kenwood?

I select Kenwood in the Radio Type on DDUtil and RS232 in the Expert menu.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Lino, DDUtil has dedicated port for 1K-FA, let's open folder Amps to check SPE 1K-FA
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited May 2017
    It doesn't work

I have com 5 is the port for the FLex, COM2 is for the Espert

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I see you are using version 2.x of the DUtill, pls upgrade to the 3.0 which utilize Ethernet connection to the radio, BTW on you screen shot no connection between DDutil and radio. In version 3.0 you should choose radio as signature, DDutil will find radio automatically , further you can use or passive listener or dedicated port for you amp. driving
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited March 2015
    yes I notice that on the top I have "CAT connection Lost" but I can't understand what I need to change
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Lino version 2 in this case expecting other type of the COM connector I think(via virtual cable to the SmartCat or physical port to transceiver this is clearly explain here: http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/index.php?... ), are you sure COM5 is visible in other SW like logger etc. pls check if yes follow with instruction from the link
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi 
    the port used from flex is COM5, The expert is connected on COM2. Today with Smart SDR CAT I have created a new virtual port (dedicated port) and I have used it to connect HRD programme, everithing is working well. 
    In the upper part od DDUtil window, I read " Not Connected", I suppose that this is the problem, I can't connect the programm with Flex. 
    In DDUtil I have "Amps"  section, I put COM2 and I can see the botton became green (The amplifer cat is on "Flex-radio" not on 232port. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Lino Are you using version 3 of DDUTIL.? Please post a screen shot of the setup screen from DDUTIL
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited March 2015
    you can find it, up on this post
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Howard, Lino using version 2.х
    Lino you understand me incorrectly, you can choose : - in case using version 2.0 you need to create additional separate virtual pair, to use with util
    or
    - install version DDutil 3.0 what I assume is extremely easy and use Ethernet connection to the tranciever and ready to use dedicated port for you AMP - all together not more then 5minutes
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I agree 100% - Install DDUTIL Version 3 - Version 2 is obsolete and difficult to use
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited March 2015
    I found it, this evening I will try, i suppose that the setup sould be: 

Features:
    Enable:  signature
    port: com 5

Amps: 
    Enable SPE 1k 
    Port: com 2

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Lino, signature means connection will be established trough Ethernet , COM port will not be utilized, however you will need COM port for 1K-FA only
    Regards
  • IZ0CBB
    IZ0CBB Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi 
    thanks to all of you for the help, now my Flex is working well with Expert. 
    my solution was: 

- DDUtil 3.1.0.17 
    - using 232 port on the Expert and 9 pin port on the PC
    - enable "signature"  on the feature flag 
    - Passive listener: select the com port used by flex 
    - Enable SPE 1k and select the com port used by the Esxpert

This is my set up.
    Thanks 
    Lino 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.