Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Inquiry re> LAN audio vs DAX (also audio controls)

Options
Paul, WB5AGF
Paul, WB5AGF Member
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
(I apologize for having to post this but when I try and research existing messages I just get confused.)

With the recently released SmartSDR v1.40 LAN functionality has been included. When I go through the v1.40 documentation it explains how to turn on the LAN feature but then further back in the document there is still a separate entry for the ('old') DAX function.

Question 1.)
I have been using DAX to play the receiver audio through my computer's speakers for some time (previous SmartSDR release) and I do not understand how (or if) there is a difference now that there is a LAN feature.

Question 2.)
As best I can tell the 'take-off point' for DAX carried audio (call it baseband if you want) occurs before the audio processing features such as audio level and equalizer controls. If this is correct then the receive audio controls only work when a speaker is plugged directly into the radio (i.e. they don't do anything when using DAX). (What outboard hardware would be needed to take the speaker output from the radio and encode it so that it could be sent to the PC via the EtherNet cable ? I understand that a dedicated PC could do the task but wonder if there is something less complex/cheaper ?)

- Paul, WB5AGF

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    DAX and Remote Audio are two distinct features, DAX is designed to route high quality audio streams into digital mode programs like WSJT, FLDIGI, etc. Remote Audio is designed to allow voice communications and aural monitoring on a remote machine (currently on the same LAN). Yes you "can" monitor DAX audio on speakers, and use it for microphone audio, but it's roundabout and doesn't take full advantage of the on-screen level controls, audio processing, etc. I believe Flex considers such use "deprecated" and not recommended.. Remote Audio can be managed with the on-screen slider, just like a speaker connection, and allows processing, etc. on transmit. DAX also is more bandwidth intensive, given its mission for digital modes. Remote Audio is more efficient, since it serves "only" your ears. This makes the overall experience on a LAN much cleaner and reduces possible latency and drop-out issues. Hope that helped!
  • Paul, WB5AGF
    Paul, WB5AGF Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    George;

Yes .... Your comments helped.

My problem (why I couldn't hear the difference between DAX and LAN transported audio) was that I still had DAX selected from SmartSDR 1.38 (even though I'd installed SmartSDR 1.40) and (this is embarrassing) I found that I had not turned-up the master LAN audio control (upper-right part of the screen). As a result even though I'd pushed the 'LAN' button I was still hearing audio via DAX.

Now, with the ('old') DAX conveyed audio disabled (not selected), I can hear receive audio using the LAN transport mechanism ..... and the audio controls work (left/right speakers .... audio equalizer).

I need to remember that DAX transported audio is 'baseband' (in another 'existence' I was a Systems Engineer designing microwave systems) whereas the LAN transported signal is processed audio.

Thanks Much !

- Paul, WB5AGF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.