Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2 Meter FM and Microphone EQ Profile

Options
Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Okay, so I finally have the EQ settings for my PR-40 working fairly well on SSB and AM.  Both of these modes work with the same EQ settings on my 6700.

I got on 146.52 Simplex last night with some friends and was told my audio was horrible.  Actually "ear piercing" was the phrase.  After several minutes mucking around with the EQ settings, I finally got it to the point that it was acceptable. 

So for now, it seems the FM implementation in v1.4 will require a different microphone profile than you use for SSB and AM.  I've never experienced this behavior in any other radio.  Usually once the TX EQ has been adjusted, it sounds the same regardless of the mode of operation.

Just something to consider down the road....

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Understandable. Would you want your pileup fighting audio to sound like your 2m chatting, or vice versa? You can create a transmit profile for both and apply the transmit profile to the global profile used for your application. Like having a flat transmit profile for digital, a nicely narrow and EQ'ed SSB, and a full-bodied AM or FM. There is a lot to tweak!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I know can save a profile and have it be labeled say "FM 2 meters" and it will use the the assigned mic and eq settings.  The problem is I have a 6700 with multiple panadapters and slices.  I might have 4 panadapters open on various bands and modes.  I might be down on 40m SSB with a couple slices open and another panadapter with 2 meter SSB and FM.  I switch between panadapters and slices, but I don't believe the microphone profile with EQ settings changes in this type of operation.  Its just one more thing to remember to select a different profile when one is switching to a slice that is using FM. 

This is not a showstopper but it really does need to be addressed.

ANOTHER THING NOTICED:  The volume audio output while in FM seems to be much less than when in SSB.  I have to crank up the volume on SDR as well as my speakers while on FM then when a SSB signal comes on, I have to make sure all of the SSB slices have the volume set really low.  This is now a bit different from my normal operation where I usually have the volume control up fairly high and use AGC-t to control the hiss.  It is now a bit harder to get everything to play nicely when running multiple modes at the same time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.