Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 or 6700 - Aphex 230 connection

Barry Isseks
Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Anyone interfacing the Flex 6000's with balanced input (6500,6700)) to the Aphex 230, please share your settings and insights.

Much appreciated
Barry
K6ZA

Answers

• James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Barry, instead of me writing down all my settings, I'll just post a photo a took with my iPhone. Also, you will really like the way the Aphex 230 works with the Flex. I'm currently playing a Neumann TLM 102 Condenser Microphone and no other rack gear and using the internal equalizer of the Flex 6500. I'm getting good audio reports so far.

James, W8GN

• Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I found a very good YouTube video about setting one of these up:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Albkn_fWrcs  (as I was searching the net, trying to determine what an Aphex 230 is :-)

• Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Many thanks for the graphic James. A few questions: Your Neuman is XLR into the 230 ?? And, out of the 230 XLR to the XLR Flex bal input directly ?? Would that be correct ?
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for that great demo video of the Aphex 230. I would be looking for cable hardware interface information. James posted a graphic of his knob settings which is very helpful. I found my Aphex on ebay. New ones are way too expensive for this guy.
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I use a W2IHY iPlus to adjust level into my Kenwood TS990s and Flex 6500, but that's the only piece of gear I have between the rigs and 230.
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Yes, XLR from Neumann to XLR into the 230, then XLR from the output of the 230 using a special W2IHY cable into the iPlus and then iPlus cable to XLR of Flex.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    This is an interesting thread for a cw guy who has a single Yaesu MH-31 hand mic in the shack (that has never been used.)   I googled around a bit for information about Nueman mics and found this:  http://www.amazon.com/Neumann-U47-FET-Collectors-Edition/dp/B00O964DFE/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instrume...  There is probably more than one ham in the world with one of these in their shack.

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm not on phone enough to warrant investing in studio grade gear, but I do like to get good audio reports.  Thus I'm using an Audio-Technica AT3035 condenser mike left over from my music gigging days with a cheap phantom power adapter for the BAL input I picked up from eBay. That and the built in EQ on the 6500 get me great reports, and I have little difficulty busting pileups with it.
  • Hammersir Sal
    Hammersir Sal Member
    edited March 2015
    I also have a TS-990s and I have the Aphex being delivered this week. My questions are.... Which input are you using for your audio into the radio and have you tried this on am? So far I find anything I use on am comes in very low volume. 
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I am using the 13 pin input currently, but have used the optical input and front mic input. I can't speak as to how it works on AM because I have never operated in that mode. James, W8GN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.