Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internal keyer locking up. Using PWR >SDR 2.7.2 and Flex 1500

n2dyt
n2dyt Member
edited October 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Has anyone had a problem with the internal keyer locking up. Using PWR >SDR 2.7.2 and Flex 1500 - At times, the keyer becomes stuck in dits or >dahs until the program is restarted again. >USB is set to a conservative value and audio buffer is at 512 >Thanks N2DYT

Comments

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Some people have claimed success using the internal keyer regardless if it was a 1500, 3000 or 5000. I was not one of those so I ended up using and external keyer - WinKeyer USB works quite well.
  • n2dyt
    n2dyt Member
    edited January 2015
    Some people have replied saying that an external keyer or even a straight key caused similar hang-ups . 73, Greg N2DYT
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I can't speak for others only from my experience. I had all three radios and using the internal keyer just did not work for me. I had a WinKeyer USB and I never experienced a problem with any of the radios on cw using the external keyer. As they say YMMV. I have since sold the 5000 and acquired a 6700. Night and day on cw. Don - kx9q
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Did N2DYT ever solve his CW problem with the Flex 1500?
  • n2dyt
    n2dyt Member
    edited January 2015
    Still happens. And I am using an external keyer. Did everything Flex told me to do. This seemed to have started with Win 8.1. No choice but to close the program and restart the radio and hope the contact is still there. Greg N2DYT
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Did you try to start PowerSDR in compatibility mode using windows 7?  And, did you try a separate stand alone pci express plug-in usb card?  I tried compatibility mode and it seem to stabilize it but have not had time to extensively test it yet.  Will try a separate plug-in  usb 3.0 card at the end of this week.
  • n2dyt
    n2dyt Member
    edited January 2015
    I am running it in compatibility mode for Win 7. The computer I have only has 1 pci express slot in it and it has a AMD video card installed. I built a small form factor computer and do regret it! Let me know how the usb card works out!
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I am running also with a separate video card but have two extra pci express 1x slots available.  What external keyer are you using?  I will let you know if the new usb card improves the cw lockup situation.
  • n2dyt
    n2dyt Member
    edited January 2015
    Just an old MFJ keyer. So the Flex thinks its a Straight Key. Strange, so far I've had 10 QSO's no problem. Using the internal keyer - forget it. Every 3 QSO's kaput
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020

Just plug in my MFJ-422 keyer key combo and so far seems to work with no problems.  Do you get any lock ups with your MFJ as a keyer?

• Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Installed the new usb 3.0 card but still got cw lockup.  Have been us my MFJ keyer paddle and for a whole hour of sending cw into a dummy  load no cw lockups yet.  I think I will stick with the external keyer.  It seems to reduce or eliminate lockups so far.

• Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    No lock ups on cw with an external keyer.  End of story.
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Just got a Flex 6300. Purely plug and play with no RFI issues or CW problems. Works perfectly so far.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.