Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Issue with cold 5000A

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
I have had this issue for some time and it started after I had the VHF/UHF module installed a few years ago.  When the radio is first tuned on and it's internal temperature is below 27-30 degrees Celsius, one of two things sometimes happen.  If I am tuning around the band (this usually happens on 2 meters or 432), sometimes the receive drops out.  The noise floor drops and no receive.  I have to stop PSDR and turn off the radio and then startup again.  The 2nd thing that happens is I will be tuning and the radio won't tune.  All the signals on the panadapter will stay in the same location on the screen even though the frequency is changed.  This usually happens on the HF bands.  Again, stopping PSDR and turning off and on the radio fixes the problem.  This only seems to happen when the radio has only been running 30 minutes or less.  If the radio has been turned on for hours, it rarely happens if at all.  I know I need to send the radio in to get looked at but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with a 5000A?  Almost like I have a cold solder joint on something.  It doesn't happen all the time but frequently. 

Burch

Comments

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Sounds like a job for a can of freeze spray. Start targeting areas and see which one causes the problem to show itself. I'd bet it's a cold solder connection. You should also start by reseating every board and connector.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.