Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna noise on my 6300

All this is antenna based interference.

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

You have now become aware of how noisy the world has become.

Everything from the drive electronics on a variable-speed furnace fan to the circuits built into LED light bulbs is making noise. The harmonics of the pulse-width modulated square waves in these things make those "humps".

Do you remember learning somewhere along the way that a square wave is made up of a fundamental sine wave and an infinite number of its odd-order harmonics?

Well, now you know what that looks like on a spectrum analyzer.

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Look to your home for a switching power supply or something like that. WALL WART ... In my case it was the power supply for and external hard drive see attached picture. I turned off breakers one by one until the noise went away... This went all the way up into 10 meters.  See Dr. Howard S. Whites paper on how to build a quite station https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how-to-build-a-quiet-station

Hope this helps...
    Regards & 73's
    Dan --- KC4GO

This was my mess !!!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I get a pattern very similar to that from the under cabinet halogen lights in the kitchen. They are powered by an old wall-wart power supply.  It wipes out 160-10 meters.  I haven't had the opportunity to replace it yet.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agree with Bob, this looks like the same i observe on a " Maytag Neptune washing machine RFI " (Google it).   I've tried grounding the wash machine case to the  copper pipes and wrapped the AC cord 15 times thru a huge 31-mix ferrite to no effect whatsoever. I believe one has to attack it at the source itself, the motor leads.

As mentioned, it's a noisy world now.. 

In the middle of the night around here, the RFI is nonexistent except for a few spurs that I can live with.
    I find it's easier to track down RFI problems at 2:00AM to 5:00AM or so when the outside sources are generally off.  Also that let me bag K1N this morning on RTTY!

Good Luck +

73's
    k3Tim

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So sorry you're now "enjoying" all the radio spectrum can offer! I spent over a year obsessively tracking down noise before I called it quits and realized there was some stuff I couldn't clean up (other people's washing machines, pool pumps, plasma TV, etc. KY6LA has a great presentation on cleaning up your own house. A recounting of my experiences is on my QRZ page. There is A LOT you can do. I also found the MFJ noise canceller (phase device) helps with some sources. I think it was Tim who first told me what I call the Flex Paradox - the best and worst thing about a Flex radio is the spectrum display coupled with that awesome receiver. Now you can obsess about noise you never knew about before! And wow, what a difference when you succeed. GOOD LUCK!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.