Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yoga 3 pro?

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
I know this is a long shot, but is anyone using a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro for SmartSDR by chance? I'm concerned about the on-board graphics being able to handle the task...

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

The CPU will be swamped. I have the i5 4300 2.9 which is much stronger and has reliability issues running SSDR with one panadapter and JT-65. The real problem is the additional processes that are triggered by the O/S. If the CPU goes to 100% SSDR will starve for service and disconnect.

I will probably go to a desk top for my 6300. Too many crashes and weird experiences.

If you already have the computer then give it a shot but I would not recommend buying one to run SSDR.

Best of luck;

Bill

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Even though that video card is definitely not in the top (check it here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5300.125576.0.html) that laptop runs a fantastic 3000x1800 resolution, which has to be amazing. I wouldn't be surprise if you can run decently if you lower the FPS (Frames per second) to about 15-18 and the rate of the waterfall. All of these are "Display" options on the top left of the SmartSDR program.

In one hand having the higher resolution will make for beautiful looking images in the display, but it will also tax your video card. So I am not sure how it will perform.

There are also several tweaks that you can do within the Advance Intel Graphics Control Panel (you can reach this menu right clicking on an empty space on the desktop and selecting "Graphic Properties", or by going into Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > and search "Intel" which might be the easiest on Windows 8.1 [not sure of Win 8 menus]):

1.  In 3D Sub menu, select "Performance" instead of "Quality". You can also try Custom Settings in that same menu and select "Anisotropic Filtering" of "x2" and see if it makes a difference.

2. Under Power Sub Menu select Maximum Performance while Plugged In

Please let us know if these settings improve the performance.
    In my case an Intel HD 4000 wasn't enough to run 2 1920*1080 monitors and SmartSRD. So your feedback on the Intel HD 5300 could be of great value to colleagues looking for bare minimum specs on a new laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the guys at Flex are working on improving the software and maybe version 1.4 of SmartSDR will bring enough tweaks to graphics handling to make any video card discussion a moot one. :)

Good luck!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.