Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Finding the 6500 - Laptop Brain Dead

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
New 6500 user here (a GREAT radio / software package).

I tried using a work laptop to talk to a new 6500 but it can't find the radio at startup.  Ethernet is wired first direct then via switch.  The ethernet lights are on and flash about 0nce a second.  It can be pinged just fine (ssh as well).  If ethernet is disconnected from the Flex then ping fails (as expected).  My home  PC finds it no problem.  I am sure this is something about the laptops internet/networking setup but was curious for the reason.  The network is adddress 192.168.0.**** All PCs are win7.

This is a curious question more than anything.  Now that the 'big' PC is in the radio shack, it stays. so a solution is more technical backfill.

Whereas I had a 12 hour flight to pre-study the manuals etc before breaking into the shipping box / setup the installation went smoothly!  One minor hangup was enabling the Flex Control but the  posts here on the community cleared that up. Making contacts etc and having a blast.  The s/w is intuitive enough to get around easily. 

I am going to take the liberty of a 'praise' post for the 6500 and s/w as it deserves it.

Thanks / 73's

_..--
Tim (K3TIM) / PE

Answers

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

If you hook the laptop direct to the radio, with an ethernet cable (no switch, hub, router, etc) boot the laptop first. Then turn on the power supply for the radio, then the radio. Also, make sure the laptop is set to automatically optain an IP address (even though there is no dhcp server here)

The radio seem to obtain it's ip setup, when the power is supplied, not when the radio is turned on! So be sure the power is really off, to "re-boot".

Regards    73    Brent

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If you have a firewall or Internet Security suite enabled on your PC, turn them off.  If it connects, then you know why.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the response Brent and Tim....  I can't disable the network IF security on the laptop, therefore this is a dead end.  No matter.....  Will use big PC workstation instead....

On a positive note, was able to activate FLDIGI - and fired up a RTTY QSO this AM.  I'm stoked this worked so easily.  Now just have to learn FLDIGI UI.  I cut my teeth on RTTY from the days when we made TU's using surplus 88mh torriods.  Later, graduated to a LM565 PLL.  What a step up especially for a Eico drifty 753 user.  Modern rigs are something with Flex SDR at the top of the heap.

Merry Christmas & Good DX in the New Year.

Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.