Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to: Setup N1MM+ for keying the Flex 6X00 via CWX

DK1EY
DK1EY Member ✭✭
It just took a moment to set keying my Flex 6300 via N1MM+.

If somebody is intersted, here you go:
  • Start N1MM+.
  • Open the CW Message Editor (right click on one of the predefined F-Key macro buttons in the VFO windows.
  • Copy and paste the following macro definitions:
## N1MM Logger+ CW Default Function Key File
#
# This file can be used in most CW contests that have a simple exchange
# The {EXCH} macro uses the contents of the Sent Exchange box in the contest setup
# The {SENTRSTCUT} defaults to 5NN or allows manual entry of signal report
# F5 uses "!" macro for his callsign
# Do not use the {CALL} macro in place of the ! macro
# S&P F1 calls QRL? before placing the program in RUN mode for calling CQ
#
# To respond to caller, send F5 then F2, or ; (default exchange key) or 
#   Insert, or Enter in ESM
#
#
###################
#   RUN Messages 
###################
F1 Cq, {CAT1ASC KY cq test  {MYCALL} {MYCALL};}
F2 Exch, {CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH};}
F3 Tu,{CAT1ASC KY tu ;}
F4 {MYCALL},{CAT1ASC KY {MYCALL};}
F5 His Call,{CAT1ASC KY !;}
F6 Repeat, {CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH} {EXCH};}
F7 Empty, 
F8 Agn?,{CAT1ASC KY agn?;}
F9 Nr?,{CAT1ASC KY nr?;}
F10 Call?,{CAT1ASC KY cl?;}
F11 Empty, 
F12 Wipe,{WIPE}
#
###################
#   S&P Messages 
###################
F1 Qrl?,{CAT1ASC KY qrl? de {MYCALL};}
F2 Exch,{CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH};}
F3 Tu,{CAT1ASC KY tu;}
F4 {MYCALL},{CAT1ASC KY {MYCALL};}
F5 His Call,{CAT1ASC KY !;}
F6 Repeat,{CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH} {EXCH};}
F7 Empty,  
F8 Agn?,{CAT1ASC KY agn?;}
F9 Nr?,{CAT1ASC KY nr?;}
F10 Call?,{CAT1ASC KY cl?;}
F11 Empty,  
F12 Wipe,{WIPE}
  • Save the changes.
  • Ready.
Now the macro buttons and F-Keys in N1MM+ can be used to key your Flex 6X00.

You can use all N1MM+ macros that way. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

VY73
Tom
DK1EY

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    VERY NICE!

I used N1MM+ this weekend in the Cal QSO Party for the first time!  I used an external WinKeyer for keying instead of this...

Can you use this to also amend how the CW speed is adjusted?
    Stu K6TU

• DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Stu,

many thanks for your answer. I did not find out yet but it would be great to do that via the N1MM+ controls in the VFO-windows.

Currently I set up my station for the Work All Germany contest. Time is running. If you find out how to, please drop a note here.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Stu, Tom, I am using CWX with the N1MM+ and other loggers already over the month, but no chance to change the speed via CAT interface , KS command for internal Keyer only., I have posted it already.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for this.  Setting up N1MM Plus is on my list of things to do and you saved me a ton of time.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Sergey, "CAT1ASC" is an N1MM macro language command.  Do other loggers
    support these commands?  Which ones have you used?

Ned,  K1NJ

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Ned, yes of course, ex.: MIXW: <CATCMD:text_command> - sends the text to the transceiver.   do not forget start with <TX> and end with <RX> this Macro, ex:

<TX>
    <CATCMD:CAT1ASC KY cq test  {MYCALL} {MYCALL};>
    <RX>

Any logger who is able to send TEXT  via CAT can do it. 
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

It doesn't work in N3FJP.  Although it sent cw via CAT to the '5000,
    apparently the CAT commands N3FJP uses are not being interpreted the
    same way by the 6000.  Macro commands like <TX> are seen as the literal
    characters TX and sent as such.  I have sent a note to the authors asking
    about this.
           Freq. band, and mode data are OK, but cw via the F-Key buffers is not
    working.  It would have been nice to have preserved CAT compatibility from
    the 5000/PSDR to the 6000/SSDR.

Ned, K!NJ

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Ned, i don't know excatly but i not remember that 5000's has CWX implemented, if not means no chance unfortunately, but with 6K it is work well whуre just looking for KS command intergation for CWX 
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Does anyone get sending CW via "Ctrl+ K" in N1MM+ working? 

Yes, it does the same that CWX does, but single system operating via N1MM+ only would be much more handy.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the help - my new 6300 is now cat integrated with n1mm+ and macro working well ready for 6m rsgb contest later today. Only issue I have found so far is the cw speed seems to be fixed around 20wpm in n1mm+ with the control in n1mm+ not changing the speed. The cw speed control in ssdr only appears to change the speed of the paddle sending plugged into front of 6300. Have you found a way of changing the speed in n1mm that works? 73 Steve gw0gei
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Steve,
                 The speed of the CAT1ASC KY text from N1MM  is determined by the setting of the
    speed in SSDR CWX. 

Ned,  K1NJ

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Ned, I will give that a go tonight.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    These macros worked great (with appropriate tweaks) for SS.  Is there any way to get the N1MM ESC key to work and stop a CWX transmission?  Or is operation better integrated with an external Winkeyer like the K1EL?
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Hi Asher,

If N1MM+ grabs focus, the ESC Key should work. 
    Are you sure you enabled the "grab focus" both in SSDR & N1MM+?
    I will check this tonight and post the results here.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tom,

My experience was ESC did not work.  Assumption is that N1MM+ is sending the whole text to CWX at 38.4K and then doesn't know how to send an interrupt character to stop sending the buffer while CWX is playing the buffer out.  But that's just a guess.
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I think you are right, Asher. Just tried it. VY73 Tom DK1EY
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I must be missing a step here. How does one get N1MM Logger+ to send messages to SSDR CWX? When I try sending a test CQ from Logger+ I get an error message "No CW port is set in Config."

When i search the N1MM Logger+ documentation for "CWX" I get no results. Also, the Flex 6000 Series is not named in the list of supported radios.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In the config menu choose the "config ports, mode control, audio, other" item.  Go to the Hardware menu tab and for your CAT serial port (in my case COM4) set the radio type to "Flex" and check the CW box.   Then use the macros Tom  shows above.  You can edit macros by right-clicking on the function key boxes in the main N1MM window.

Since the ESC key and speed control don't work yet with CWX I picked up a $36 serial Winkeyer from K1EL this week.  Appears to work, but haven't contest-tested it yet. 
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    I have also used a similar setup for the SS and it worked fine. But I agree that the ESC and speed features would be nice. That could easily be solved if keying via a virtual port was allowed, instead of using CWX. 

Let's hope this gets implemented in the future, as it would be a great integration with N1MM, and I am assuming other loggers.

Eduardo - KC8R
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    i still cannot get N1MM Logger+ to send CW via CWX

I am using N1MM Logger+ V0.19.4285.0

SSDR & SSDR CAT v1.3.8.0

I have 8 physical serial ports so my first virtual port is COM9 and that is where SSDR CAT is set up to connect to 3rd Party Programs

My setup is in the pic above. Something here must not be right. I have not selected any parameters in the N1MM Logger+ COM9 setup, should I?

When I try to send a test CQ message from N1MM Logger+ I get the error message "No CW Port is set in Confiq" (which is not true, I have selected COM9).

Help! CQ WW CW is less than a week away!

Bill AA7XT
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Bill, You have to use the CAT comands in your macros because the Flex 6000 cannot be keyed directly via serial port. The best bet is to use the CAT to ASCII command on N1MM and then send the KY commands that are used for CWX. I had posted another answer that provides examples, or use Sergey's example above. Hope this helps. Eduardo - KC8R
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Well i see in any way so many issues exist with configure N1MM with SSDR, then i would like make step by step How TO (SSDR+ N1MM plus + Skimmer):
    1. How it should look like finally:

2. Lets configure CAT and DAX with SSDR:

3. Lets configure N1MM:

4. Then lets configure ports with N1MM, CAT:image

5. N1MM PTT port:
    6. Of course SSDR setup:

7. Macros setup with N1MM:

8. and..... DDUtil for Skimmer connection(if skimmer was installed previously):

In case SO2V and SO2R some changes necessary in N1MM - selection setup,
    instead DDUtil necxessary to SDR Bridge and Wintelnet for information merge from 2 instance of skimmers
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the great step-by-step instructions, Sergey! Very helpful.

I seem to making progress, N1MM now gives me CW sidetone but does not keep the 6700. when transmitting CW from Logger+ I get the error message

"Transmit slice has not been selected" - this message appears multiple times each attempted tx.

I have the red TX box selected in Slice A and it is the only Slice I have open now.

Also I am weirdly getting a "COM19 is in use error" from Logger+, weird as I have not asked Logger+ to use COM19 (COM9 is where I connect to SSDR)

Here's my setup now:

how do I get Logger+ to tell SSDR which Slice to tx on?

Bill AA7XT
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I meant to say "...does not key the 6700..." above
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    William, sounds strange, first message regarding active slice can appear only in case Red flag on the Active slice not selected - can you show please full screen short of you PC then you retrieve it? However with second message from the logger I think necessary to check againt setup of all items of the N1MM( from Radio till Digi), you right COM 19 just virtual end of the pair and should not be used
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    It just started working (N1MM Logger+ keying SSDR / Flex 6700). I didn't change anything!

However, Skimmer has stopped working...

Bill AA7XT
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks!  That was very helpful.
     I set up Skimmer and the updated N1MM+ in about 30 minutes and ran it for several hours in the ARRL 160 CQ test last night.  It worked like a charm!  Having both of those programs really added to my S&P rate.  

Granted I am still a bit of a novice contester with poor antennas (OCF Dipole at 38 ft.) and low power.  But in 6 hours 15 minutes I was able to do 173 Q's, 5 DX, and 64 Sections for 22,528 points so far, and adding two of the four remaining states for the WAS on 160.  My Total score last year was 28420, so if I can operate some tonight, I will bust that score by a bunch.   (My Main Goal is finishing the WAS on 160)  I only have HI & AK to go, if CA & NV confirm via LOTW!  These may need to wait until I can get the Inverted 'L' up.

I still haven't tried to "run" a frequency.  not enough power and antenna for that yet.  Perhaps I will try it next week as W1AW/9 (Indiana)!

What a combo with the 6500.  Makes it a CW contesting machine.
    Next I get to learn how to do SO2R, and other elaborate stuff.  but first things first....

Thanks again for your help getting CWX running on the N1MM+ platform.

Ken - NM9P
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well nice to hear, you right for "run" necessary at least imaging a Big Gun location :-) Just work with W1AW/9  on 20m at 15:55 UTC  today, Ken you will be together with Ray K9DUR on position  ? 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ray lives about an hour and a half away.  I will operate from my home station here in Washington, Indiana.  (I hope my schedule will allow a good number of shifts, but a pastor doesn't have a great deal of spare time in December!)

Ken - NM9P
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Nice to hear Ken, have a nice time to play with our toys, will be nice if you mail me ra3ajk@gmail.com  with available timeslot on W1AW/9  :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.