Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wireless Headset with Mic

W9DR
W9DR Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
I would like to share my experience with other FlexRadio owners. I have bought a Wireless Headset and am using it with my SDR-5000. I believe this headset will work with the Flex 6000 series also.

This headset includes a boom noise-cancelling mic. The earphones are dual "over the ears" for reduced background noise. It operates on 2.4 Gig. (not Bluetooth) and the 2.4 Gig. transceiver (USB dongle) can also be plugged into a supplied cable reel (20 foot) to remote the dongle for better location to increased range. I can get 40 feet away from the dongle with continued noise free/drop-outs. I have found no interference with my wireless router to either the headset or wireless internet in the house. This headset comes with a rechargeable battery that can be charged with the supplied USB cable without battery removal and has a volume control on the left earphone.

There are two other neat features. 1) It has a software 10 band EQ for both the mic and earphones that can be downloaded from the manufacturer of the headset. 2) This is really cool: you can program three different buttons on the left earphone to be assigned to keyboard keystrokes. I have assigned the "spacebar" to one button, to toggle on/off the transmitter and the other two buttons to keystrokes that will tune the SDR-5000 up or down in frequency of 1 KHz. steps. So when I am using the headset within 40 feet of the dongle I can transmit at will and then back to receive. I direct the in/out audio from the headset via VAC. I would think SmartSDR used on the Flex 6000 series could be done the same way via DAX. I have had great over-the-air transmit audio reports while up to 40 feet from the rig.

The headset, with boom mic, is a Logitech Wireless Headset G930 that I bought from Amazon for $100 to my door. I found it a great asset to the SDR-5000 and believe may be used by SDR-6000 series owners.

73, Dave, W9DR

Comments

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Dave,

I have the same headphone and use it daily for other VOIP applications (Cisco IP Soft Phone and Lync Communicator) as part of my job.  It works great.  The audio is superb.  The range is great.   It is large but the padding makes it comfortable to wear for long periods of time.  It also has all day battery life via a rechargeable lithium ion battery.  All the things that I want.

I plan to buy another for use with my laptop and the Flex when 1.4 comes out.  Of course I'll test it empirically with SmartSDR first before buying my second unit.  I can only imagine it will be stellar with my 6300.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.