Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Where Does DDUtil (3.0) get supply voltage info

JB
JB Member ✭✭

DDUtil generally shows 13,8V on the Flex 6300 as it should. During TX (PSK31 for example) the voltage drops to a range of 12.6 and sometimes as low as 11.8.

I have a 32 Amp switching power supply with nothing else running so I am wondering why the drop under load? Is it because the 6300 DDUtil is sampling at too slow or fast rate?

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Other reasons may also apply.  For example, what size wire are you using between the PS and the rig?  If you measure it at the PowerPole connectors during transmit, what does your voltmeter read?  Those are two places for I-squared R loss.
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Be sure to check your power connections all the way from the power supply to the PowerPoles. While you are at it, makes sure that the connectors of the PowerPoles are fully snapped in and the tension of the connectors is tight.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I believe DDUtil reads voltage via the API. Assuming I am correct, the voltage is what the radio is seeing. As others have said, you should check all of your power connections.

Jon...kf2e
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Most likely its a voltage drop in ur cables

Remember V=IR

It does not take a lot of R to drop a volt Also ur power supply has internal resistance.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Or you have a voltage regulator in the PS that is failing under load
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Checking all. Thank you.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    DDUtil adds voltage internally before displaying the adjusted value.  I had this issue months ago and reached out on the Yahoo group.    It was because the sample point on the Flex is done at a point where the voltage is lower than the input voltage.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Solved. Thanks all.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    what was the solution?

73  W9OY
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I metered the voltage at the output of the power supply and realized that the preset voltage (Alinco DM 330) even though it showed correctly on the internal meter was wrong. Boosted it to 14.2 and all is well. There is some loss between the power supply, the Powergate charger, the RigRunner and the radio but 14.2 out keeps the DDUtil display at 13.5 at a low and 14.0 at high range.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The radio's internal voltage is streamed in a collection of meters sent from the radio many times a second over the VITA-49 protocol.  These meters are made available as part of the FlexLib .NET interface (part of the SmartSDR API) on various objects.  For example, all meters related to a lice receiver are on that slice object.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.