Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

When should I expect the cooling fan in my 6300 to increase its' speed.

RoyS
RoyS Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
On my 6300, I cheated the setup and ran 30 watts while running JT-65. Keeping in mind the duty cycle of a constant signal, I placed a temperature probe at the exhaust and measured the air temp.
I saw a max temp of 45 deg C. The fan speed never changed. Since there is no adjustment like on my 3000, I wonder at what temp should the fan speed increase?

Roy - W5TKZ  

Answers

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    According to an earlier Flex posting in this community the fans switch to hi speed at 70 degrees C and return to low at 55 degrees C. The temp is measured on the flange of the PA transistors. The absolute max temperature for the PA transistor junction is 175 degrees C.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I run DDutil and it gives a PA temp reading. Maybe more reliable than measuring air temp?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I believe you are correct about DDUTIL
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The PA temp reading reported by SmartSDR (which DDUtil displays) is the temp we use to adjust the fan speed.  For testing in the lab, we use a thermocouple inserted into the heat sink and found that the temperatures are fairly close.  The reported temp and heat sink temp lag the junction temp, of course.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.