Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Space bar as PTT

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I noticed that if the MOX button on the screen is highlighted with the mouse that I can use the space bar as a PTT. This is a great function, but I would like to be able to depend on the space bar toggling the PTT state (as long as SmartSDR is the active program) regardless of the position of the mouse cursor. This function could be configurable as some people would not have a need for a PTT on the keyboard, but might have another important function.
1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    One mans passion is another's poison... Keyboard short cuts should all be subject to a master turn off. The is nothing more evil than being in a contest or chasing rare DX than having the **** window focus on the radio and typing something (intended for the software you thought had focus) and find yourself in some state you didn't expect. Keyboard short cuts are not the answer to workflow issue IMO. As long as there is a way to disable ALL keyboard shortcuts, I don't mind how many they are. I respect why you want it but its not a solution for everyone. Stu
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Robert, this is a VERY old Windows operating system feature that the previously issued mouse click can be repeated using the space bar. This is nothing unique to SmartSDR.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    The HPSDR version of PSDR has a modification where the spacebar is solely a PTT toggle instead of repeating the last command. I find this more predictable than the "last command" methodology since I seldom remember what my last command was (while I always know what a big PTT key looks like). I agree with Stu that it should be an option. As far as default is concern, I would have it active and have the user "opt-out" of it being PTT instead of "opt-in"
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This has happened to me many times on PowerSDR, where I thought I was logging a QSO and focus was instead, on PSDR, I would look up and see PSDR on a different (crazy) frequency.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    low tech events should not creep into a sophisticated software & hardware package. This 2013. Let's move on
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    PTT via space bar WOW You have Mike buttons, Foot switches Hand switches, And even the mouse on the MOX give it a break . How about VOX Totally missing .
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    I just discovered (by accident) that spacebar can be used as a PTT but this works even when the MOX is not active, in fact when I press the spacebar the MOX becomes active.

Peter

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I agree with Stu and Dave about the danger of keybord shortcuts during contesting. I also found myself in the middle broadcast band when typing in a call sign when the focus was on the radio (powerSDR) instead of the logging program. What a shock. So no, I'm not a keyboard shortcut enthusiast. Charles K5UA
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Keyboard short cuts are evil!  Its on thing for EMACS but something completely different for a radio program.

I nearly lost my first SS Sweep using PowerSDR when the VE4 I had been chasing turned up and called me...  keyboard focus on PowerSDR and BLAM!  Instead and nasty QSY...  with only 15 minutes to go, I barely found and worked the guy.

Please NO keyboard shortcuts without a single master DISABLE which has them disabled by DEFAULT.

Stu K6TU
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The first thing I did with old PowerSDR was to turn OFF all keyboard shortcuts I agree with Stu, Dave and the rest that they are a disaster waiting to happen at the worst possible time Killed a number of Q's for me until I figured out how to disable them. Hope they NEVER show up in SSDR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.