Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.3 Level Meter miscalibrated for DAX?

Options
Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
When using audio from DAX, I cannot get the set RF power until the main level meter bar (on the SmartSDR "P/CW" panel) is all the way up to zero and the peak indicator shows way into clipping.  This is new behavior to 1.3.0.

In this particular case, I am using the Tune signal from WSJT-X, which is just a sinewave (1307Hz for my current WSJT-X setting, but the problem does not seem to be dependent on frequency ).

The frequency is 50.276MHz and RF power is set to 50W and I need to bring the level up as shown to get 50W:

If I set the level as recommended (manual section 25.3.3) I get 17W:

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options

I too am seeing very poor drive with DAX enabled.

On RTTY this morning trying to work Viet Nam and couldn't get good drive. Reverted back to 1.2.17 and normal output.

Dave, wo2x

• DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Same here with PSK via DIGU!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bob - can you provide a screen shot of your DAX Control panel so I can get a complete look at your setup?

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have seen a problem with DAX and SSB drive levels related to the use of profiles..
    May I suggest that after you use a profile to set a digital profile that you either toggle the mode to usb and then back to DIGU/U  or  deselect and then reselect TX for the slice.

If you have not used a profile, You may find that toggling the TX to something differentt and then back will restore the TX power output for DAX

AL, K0VM
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Tim, as requested (captured during transmission):
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Al,
    Yes, I have noticed some oddities directly after loading a profile that requires toggling modes and TX to clear up, but I have not been able to characterize them yet.  The results I am demonstrating here are after the toggles to get things working mostly correctly.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks.  I am looking into this
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What is the level of your digital mode source?  

I am using Fldigi that is putting out 0 db of signal on transmit in PSK31 mode.  In this configuration with the DAX Control panel TX input set at 51, the level meter in both DAX and on the SmartSDR console shows it almost hitting 0 dB.  At these levels I am putting out 95W peak into a dummy load.  The power was measured by a PowerMaster wattmeter.

I think your audio source gain level may be too low.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tim,
    This is the same WSJT-X program and same WSJT-X settings as I have been using successfully with earlier releases of SmartSDR.  I have my DAX transmit gain set to 41 and, as you can see, I am getting full scale metering on the DAX panel and full scale metering on the SmartSDR panel.

I'm not sure what you mean by "your audio source gain level may be too low".
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi Tim,

I am using DM780 which is set to 0 dB  out. TX level on DAX channel 2 tx is 44 which gives peak indicator in SmartSDR just under zero (any higher and it would turn red on peaks). Power in SmartSDR set to 45 and only get 15 watts out.

Same exact settings in SSDR 1.2.17 gives 43 watts out.

I've just completed loading a clean OS image into my test PC and going to install SSDR 1.3 with DAX and CAT clean, no prior versions installed. Will see what the results are...

Dave, wo2x

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What I have seen is that the Power Output is lower, relative to the level meter immediately after booting the radio into a persisted DIGI mode and it remains low until a TX profile is toggled....

Output can also become low following a change of mode  i.e. DIGU>USB>DIGU... again toggling through a different TX profile will correct

AL, K0VM
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Following Al's suggestion, I started playing around with changing the TX profile.  Now I think I have arrived at a second incorrect state.  With the output set to 50W, I am now getting 36W and strangely, the Compression meter is showing compression even though I am in DIGU mode with DAX audio selected:

BTW, I am measuring my output power with a trusted LP-100A meter that usually agrees with SMartSDR's power output setting (although I find SmartSDR's RF power meter a bit optimistic).

LATE INFORMATION:  From the above state, if I toggle the Slice's mode to USB and then back to DIGU, I am back to 17W, but the Compression meter no longer shows any compression.

I am not making any changes to WSJT-X or the DAX panel.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob,  Here is a screen shot of how mine runs ( normal )image
    Signal is from WSJT-X with its Pwr slider set at mid scale, DAX slider is set at default (44)

Not sure what the difference is..  I have a 6500 .. If you have not already done so, export you profiles and do a persistence reset, import your profiles. 
    At this point the output may be low, toggle to a different profile and back again.

AL, K0VM
  • W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Same issue here when trying to run WSJT-X. Very low power output. The problem seems to be related to DIGU mode.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ross,
      A work around  ( maybe ).  If you have not already done so, save a TX profile of you current digital ( WSJT) operation state.  Select some other TX profile and then reselect your digital (wsjt) TX profile.  Might restore your wsjt output power..

AL, K0VM

• W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the info Al. I will try that and see what happens. I have not had much time to play with yet.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Followed the work around above from Al that appeared to do the trick.... using my 6500 and HRD tnx's...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There is something going on with the transmit levels.  We have a defect listed for it and are actively investigating it.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tim.....
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just an observation I have to be careful cos limited to 10 watts, but not realised the power level was wound right up on one band and my digital display on my power master showed 110 watts on my 6500!!!!!
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the suggestions, but none seem to help here.  And I did the persistence reset before I realized it wiped out all my profiles. (grrr...)  Now I use import and export.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.