Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

profiles

Steve - M3SXA
Steve - M3SXA Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Ok thought I would try the profiles for digi mode's so went and setup all the bands 80-10 choose the digi frequency dax etc.... checked that all the bands were correct one at a time and saved the profile with the global setting...

Went back to all the bands and moved the frequency somewhere else.... went to the profile manager and loaded my 80-10 digi profile 10 meters was the only one correct the rest were all over the place....

Flex 6500
Smart SDR v1.3
Cat v1.3
Dax 1.0.5.116
Update: I quit SmartSDR and restarted and they all now appear to be there, some slightly out to what I saved as but near enough.... and then I spot three slices receivers on 40 meters??

Comments

• Parks R
    Parks R Member
    edited September 2014
    I have seen the same problem on my 6500. I would like to see band stacking.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I too thought I had the same problem until I realized that I was double clicking the profile selection.
    Since then I have been careful to single click the profile selection and it has all been stable.
    YMMV
    AL, K0VM
  • W4NTG
    W4NTG Member
    edited January 2016
     Works as advertised on 6500...try not to overthink it : >)
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I spent a lot of time setting up a few profiles but they get totally scrambled very quickly. I'll keep trying.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The double-clicking fooled me for a while too.

Ed, K0KC
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is the global profile supposed to save default frequency and mode for each BAND button? If so, that would be neat. One set for a favorite CW frequency on each band, another for a favorite RTTY freq. on each band, another for all the PSK31 frequencies, etc.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    YES... you can create an infinite number of band/mode stacks

Much more powerful implementation than the usual 3 frequencies per band found on Legacy radios
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I know what I am going to play with this afternoon! I hadn't experimented with that yet. But I have done a lot with transmit profiles.
  • Edward Armstrong-WB2K
    edited September 2014
    Hi Ken When you load global profiles switch out of global with band select in the software to a different bands then go to your transmit profiles and check them you will see as you move around between global and transmit profiles and select a different Band you will see the settings get confused let me know how you make out Ken have a good day.
    Ed WB2K

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited January 2017
    Right ok... just tried this again...
    If you setup the frequencies on bands 80-10 for digi modes one at a time using one panadapter and one receiver  they are all still there when I return to them.
    Ok so now I save a profile, saved one under global and another using a different name under transmit.

Now I go to each band still using one panadapter and one receiver move them about ie onto phone and listen to a few qsos going on...

So now I want my digi modes back so select the profile manager make sure the global tag is selected and one click on "dig 80-14" profile and then load, receiver makes a click so it has done something....
    10m band shows correct...
    12m way out and usb still shows instead of DIGU
    15m way off the 21.070 but DIGU is correct
    17m shows 18.145USB instead of 18.100DIGU
    20m 14.174USB instead of 14.070DIGU
    30m and 80m I never moved from their digi freq
    40m 7.129.139?? LSB instead of 7.040DIGL

• Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Hi Steve,

I have been playing about with this since your post and using my 6500 it works perfectly.

I have managed to set up profiles for digi modes 20 thru 10, cw the same, even set up my transverter for 4M.
    It also works with 2 panadapters and 2 receivers, I have one profile set so I can monitor digital modes on 14.070 and work USB voice on 14.210, you must be doing something wrong.
    I would suggest you delete all the profiles you have created and start from scratch.
    Set up 1 panadapter and 1 receiver, set it to 14.070 select dax and all the other settings you would use for your data modes, when you have everything set, open up the profile manager and select the Global Profile Tab, type in a title for the profile say "20 Mtr Digi" then click save.
    if you had the default Tx profile selected the software will also create a transmit profile under the same title "20 Mtr Digi".

When you are happy everything is ok, move on to the next band and create another Global profile for 17 Mtr Digi, then set up your cw/ssb etc.

I have been creating and deleting profiles all afternoon and cannot recreate the problems you describe. Instead of creating tx profiles for all the bands you could just create 1 tx profile for each mode and select it in the transmit profile box when you create the Global Profile, this stops the software creating another tx profile with the same name as the Global Profile.

I hope this helps.

Peter

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Same experience here, Peter -- Profiles all seem to work perfectly. Save and load all good. It's a little weird seeing the whole panadapter vanish, though. One glitch I do notice is that when switching, my WSJT-X application sometimes loses contact with CAT. 
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Peter. Clear as mud though.
    Right now my TX profile window is blank. Where did that come from?
    Are you saying that it should be set to "default" when creating a "global profile"?
    If I want TX profiles to be just for "modes" Why would I want Global profiles to create TX profiles named 20 Mtr Digi? 
    Yesterday I turned the 6300 on in the morning and it came up with 2 slice receivers. I never do that so it's got a mind of its own. Guess I'll try starting over. or maybe you can just send me your file and I'll import it. That would be fun to try
    Steve
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Steve, the software comes with default Transmit profiles, if they suit you use them, if they don't, you can create your own, for digital modes, cw, ssb, different mics etc. When creating your Global profiles you can use the tx profiles you have created and when you save the global profile it will have your tx profile embedded in the global profile. If however you select the "Default" transmit profile and save a new Global profile, the software will create a transmit profile with the same name as your global profile. I hope this is a better explanation. Peter
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What I am trying to do may not be what it was programmed to do.I would like to set up on Global CW profile which has frequencies stored for each band button at 25 Khz above the bottom of each band (except 30 Meters)   
    The idea being that a global profile should set up each band button with a default frequency.

So I went through each band and set the slice for the desired frequency, mode, filter, etc.  Then I clicked the band button for the next band and did the same.  Then I "saved" this global CW profile.  After clicking on a different profile, I clicked on the CW Global profile.  The rig returned to the frequency on the slice that was showing when I saved the profile.  But when I began clicking on the band buttons, some of them returned to the correct frequency, but others didn't.  

Am I trying to do something that Profiles wasn't intended to do?  I know I could set up a profile for each RTTY or CW frequency that I want to use, but this doesn't seem like a "Global" profile, just a memory.  Which is nice, but I thought this was described as "better than band stacking registers."  Am I missing something, or is there a glitch in the profile saving or recalling routine?  

BTW.  I LOVE the transmit profiles.  I just wish that it was linked to RX EQ, because when I change from CW to RTTY to SSB-Rag Chew to SSB-DXing my needs for RX EQ also change.  It would be handy to have them linked either to TX profile, or to have default RX EQ setting and status linked to the operating Mode.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Peter I'll give that a go with one, but I thought if I set all the bands up and then save globally which to me means everything it would then save everything, then I could just flick from band to band without having to load each band individually maybe it does not allow this but thanks for your tip I'll give this a go and see if it saves one at a time...
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    After reading this I just put my head in my hand and shook it back and forth.
    No. It makes no sense (to me) what you just said Peter but thanks for trying.
    With an ICOM you had 3 band stacking registers. Hit the band switch to scroll through them. 
    Man....That was always so easy! Maybe not as sophisticated but easy.
    I think you're saying that the TX profile and Global profiles somehow affect each other? 

• Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Hi Steve, I think you are trying to use the Flex as an Icom, the Flex doesn't have band stacking registers like the icom that cycle through the last 3 frequencies used just by pressing the band button three times.

The profiles save the parameters which are set up on the Flex when you hit the save button and name the profile to recall at a later date.

The Transmit Profile only saves the information for things like the microphone input, mic gain, etc, I have two microphones that I use, a Heil PR781 and a Heil proset plus, both have very different characteristics and both require different transmit profiles. So I set up Transmit profiles for each microphone and then save them in the profile manager under the names PR781 or ProsetPlus.

The Global Profile can save much more and it can also save which ever transmit profile I wish to use, so say I only use the PR781 on 20 Metres, I set up the Flex with all the parameters I want to use, Mode = USB Freq = 14.210 Filter - 2.7 RF Power = 50 Proc = On/DX etc etc etc. Then I open up the Profile manager and click the Global Profile Tab, I type in a name for the Profile ie 20 Metre SSB and I click save. This will save all the settings I need to work 20 Metre SSB. When I wish to recall all the settings for 20 SSB I either got to the Profiles drop down menu where there is now an menu item "20 Metre SSB and click on it once. Or I open up the Profiles manager and either double click on 20 Metre SSB or click on it once and click the load button.

If I use the Heil Proset on 40 Metres I would do as above apart from change the frequency to 7.120 and select the transmit profile for the Heil Proset, then save the Global profile under "40 Metre SSB"

You would do the same for your digital modes setting up a transmit profile first and then including that in the global profile.

When you get the hang of it, it is very simple and fast to set up profiles for your favourite modes.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Hi Ken,
    I think I know what you are trying to do and I have tried it and it doesn't work like that. I think, unless somebody can prove me wrong, you would have to set up a Global Profile for each band.

Peter

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think what I was trying to do is save  a transmit profile by setting my transmit parameters then going to the profile manager, clicking the transmit tab and giving it a name. Maybe you're suppose to do this under "save a transmit profile"....I'll give that a try.

• Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Hi Steve, I have emailed you a copy of one of my global profiles.

Peter

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve.  Yes, you save a new Transmit Profile under the "Save a Transmit Profile" tab. (or re-save a modified one) Just be sure to type in a name before you hit the "Save" button.  It doesn't ask you after the fact, as most Windows "save" functions do.
    Once saved, you can access TX Profiles on the "Transmit control panel."  You can also select a TX profile as you set up a Global profile and it will remember which TX Profile you want to use.

I have gotten pretty good at using TX profiles.  The Global Profiles seem to be giving me a little trouble, because it doesn't save some of the things I think it should save.  But this is only the first released version of profiles.  I imagine that there may be some refinements in versions to come...
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Not received anything and just in case checked my spam box?
    email is correct on my QRZ page
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    U need to save a different profile for EACH band. And. each Mode.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    No.  That is band / slice persistence.  A profile only saves that is currently on your display (current radio state) and recalls that.  Band / Slice persistence operates independently of profiles, which are "point in time" snapshots of the current radio operating state.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.