Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tips to make it all work well.

Jeff Gray
Jeff Gray Member
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Although I don't have anything running SSDR, after reading the threads on here and else where, several things are apparent. They apply to both PSDR and SSDR. 1. There is an extreme learning curve. A lot to learn to make it run well. 2. Need to have computer to handle it IE dualcore processor, 8 gig memory, will run well. If your computer is minimal to meet requirements or less, upgrade your computer. You will be disappointed if you don't. You will also want a good video card in it. A low end video card will not have enough resolution to see the weak stations. This is very important if your into CW and Digimode operating. 3. Run the installer and update as administrator. Needed registry keys may not be created properly if you don't. Once installed, set SSDR or PSDR to run as administrator. Otherwise the permissions that will allow it to run well may not be there. 4. Turn off all un-needed TSR (terminate and stay resident) programs. These start with windows. They do that to reduce time waiting for it to load every time it is needed. IE Skype, Yahoo, MSN They are located next to the clock. Depending on the version XP Vista and 7 they are an icon next to the clock or in a window that pops up when clicking the double arrow by the clock. As for 8 and 8.1 I have no experience. They load into memory and do call checks. They add to memory being used and processor latency degrading performance. 5. Be sure to create proper exceptions in your firewall and in some cases you may need to tell antivirus the program is safe. Some firewall settings and antivirus programs will limit or block some things unless told otherwise. 6. Backup your current settings. Play with the adjustments till you get them set properly for your hardware. What works on one computer may not work well if at all on another. Then if your not happy go back to your backup. It will reset your rig to where you had it prior to tinkering. Hope this helps and see you on the Panafall.

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

To me that mouthful of words is about equivalent to saying that water makes the best rain.

Jim, K6QE

• Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jeff, thanks for your summary. I found exactly the same things, especially having enough horse power in the PC and graphics card.
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tom W4FAS Jeff, thanks for taking the time to provide a good overview of the learning curve I am trying to master. The recommendations are also appreciated The Community section of the FRS website has been a great help to me in learning to use my Flex 6500. Jim K6QE, The problem I have with your comment is, it may discourage some people from contributing to the Community, for fear of subjecting themselves to your brand of senseless ridicule. Tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.