Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What would be the practical advantages of the GPSDO on a Flex-6500

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
All the talk about GPSDO has raised a few questions for me. I have not ordered this option for my soon to arrive (hopefully) 6500. What practical advantages, other than increased frequency stability, would this option bring me in the present or future SSDR releases as a typical operator? Would it be "worth the money" to add the option? if I don't get it now, can I add it later without major additional expense? Thanks.

Answers

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I guess you could get really really close to the band edge? ( just kidding ) 73 w5xz
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    In my particular situation, the GPSDO along with its 10 MHz reference output potentially makes VHF and up operations more reliable. There's nothing quite so frustrating as making a schedule for the UHF contest and missing the contact because the two stations weren't actually both operating on the same frequency. With all the new computer-assisted K1JT modes (WSJT), frequency accuracy is a fundamental ingredient.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    We have a number of plans for the GPSDO, many of which have not been discussed publicly. For now, the key benefit of the GPSDO is frequency stability and accuracy of the radio and a 10MHz output on the radio for situations where you want to discipline other oscillators. Other oscillators could be yet equipment you have or VHF+ transverters as Mike suggested. The GPSDO is also setup to timestamp RF data coming out of the radio using a new standard for RF/IF data called VITA-49 (you can look the standard up on the web at www.vita.org). Some applications in the future may require a high level of time accuracy on data that the GPSDO provides. We have also investigated using the radio as an NTP server for you local computer network. We have tested this internally, but have not productized this yet. Steve
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I also read this thread...
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/what_is_the_gpsdo_and_what_benefit_does_it_provide

I'm wondering if anything has been developed or is planned to use the GPSDO for anything other than just insuring long term frequency stability.

Jon

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi , i would like to rise this topic again  in relation with NTP functionality of the FLEX-6XXX, can we expect this functions in upcoming releases of the SSDR ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.