Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DM780 with Digimaster CW keying

AB9UU
AB9UU Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a Digimaster ( www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/DigiMaster_CW.htm ) CW Keyer I want to use with my Flex 6500 and DM780.  I just can not get the settings or connections right.    DM780 recognizes it right and will  key in some situations but no power is generated and the amp will go into an"on" mode but again no power output.  Is anyone using this device successfully with the Flex 6500 who can tell me their set up settings and connections to see what I am doing wrong?  I am getting close but still missing something.

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    To key CW with the 6000 radios, you must have a hardware connection to one of the the Key inputs on the radio.  ( there is on DTR/RTS or data cw input at this time ). And you will want to turn off Iambic..

See 'related conversations' in this community.

AL, K0VM
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

I have been bugging Flex about DTR/RTS keying.  Still waiting for the "Nothing but Net" solution.

There is a very simple (two component) diagram in the N1MM Serial, Parallel and Sound Card Interfacing PDF.  See http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+Started&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation in section 4.4 "Using a transistor". 

It works connected to pins 4 & 5 on the rear auxiliary socket.  It does require a cable from the computer serial port to Flex so they must be adjacent.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Al,
    I use a straight key and PC based program to key my 6700 from the ACCESSORY connection on the back.   They both connect to the ACCESSORY connector.   It does require small interface between the PC and 6700 for the DTR/RTS keying.  I also use a paddle plugged in to the key jack on the front of the 6700.

I leave iambic on all the time.  

The ACCESSORY connection does not use the internal keyer so I can switch between the paddle, straight key, and PC keying without changing anything.  Just use which ever one I want.

I have the keying interface I built documented and posted elsewhere.  It is essentially a "breakout box" that connects the PC to the ACCESSORY connection and provides the transistor interface as well as exposes all of the ACCESSORY lines in case you want to use any of them for other things.  If interested, drop me a note.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

A very convenient part by Winford.com is item BRKSD15HDM-R ($15) a Slim male breakout board with **** connectors

I added a CDY15HDMFF-1 short cable to mate with the flex and still leave the option of adding something else to the auxiliary port.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the info.  I am going to build a HD DB15 interface using a Winford Engineering slim breakout device.  My computer has no serial ports so I will use a USB to DB9 adapter.  My question then is which pins on the USB adapted DB9 do I run to the which ports on the HD DB15?
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

COM port specs have DTR on pin 4 and RTS on pin 7.  Use pin 5 for ground.

Check with your application for which to use.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks.  I will try to rig this up in the next several days.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.