Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCat creates a comport that conflicts with a vspm port and prevents me from connecting to PSDR

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited January 2017 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
SmartCat has decided it knows better than me and  created a com port pair.
31<>41
Unfortunately I already have a vspm port pair of 31<>21.
Which I need, to connect to a third party program so that it can automatically control my Quadra antenna selection.
Because SmartCat starts upon boot up, I can't seem to find a way to block it from taking control of those ports.
Spent two days trying to fix this.
So how do I convince SmartCat that it does NOT know what I need better than me?
I have a fully automated station, single mouse click to switch bands, modes, power, antenna, etc.
This change, (smartcat never did this before this weekend)

This does effect both PowerSDR and will make SmartSDR not be fully automatically controlled also.
Basically I need a way to tell SmartCat to NOT use ports I've set up for various programs.

Please and thank you.

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Get rid of VSPM entirely and only use SmartCat to create ports...

No more conflicts and it is easy to use and setup

BTW... My station is also fully a automated station, single mouse click to switch bands, modes, power, amplifiers, rotate antenna, antennas, control SteppIR MonstIR, etc

Plus I usually run it remotely via my iPad while traveling so it really needs the maximum possible automatic and the minimum number of mouse clicks....
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I knew someone would say that. That would be fine if I didn't have programs and equipment that required com ports.
    Unfortunately that won't work, as I use some programs, that will NOT accept high number com ports.
    Because I have a number of 'REAL' com ports for devices, that only use low numbers, all those low numbers are used up.
    And Smart Cat only creates com ports separated by a factor of 10.
    Consequently these programs will not such a comport.
    If Smart would allow me to use a high number and a low number such as 10<>40 it would work.
    But Smart doesn't allow us to specify and seems to always create a pair higher than any existing com port.
    For me, while Smart is great for SmartSDR and my 6K, it's not versatile enough for me when I use PSDR and my 5K.

For me, SmartSDR should allow me to create 'Exceptions' first.
    Say my rotor program only allows numbers up to 10.
    Even my PSDR rig control program will only allow a com port of 10 or less.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.