Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Confusion VAC, SmartSDR and SmartCat

Jim W3IPO
Jim W3IPO Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am using a 1500 with PowerSDR  and the VAC program.   I am thinking about taking a dive into the 6700.  Am I correct in assuming that by using SmartSDR, I will not need the VAC program?

I have studied the quick setup guide to the 6000 series and see no mention of using SmartCat.
When would I use SmartCat?  (I do want to use digital modes.) 

I also do not see a download for SmartCat on the website.  Is it part of SmartSDR?

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    1.   You no longer need VAC..  SmartSDR include DAX which totally replaces VAC with a much easier to use Virtual Cable

2.  SmartCAT is part of the SmartSDR install package.  After you install SMARTSDR, you will see in your Flex Folder the install file for SmartCAT... this is well detailed in the release notes that come with SmartSDR

BTW... my 6700 works much better with DAX on Digital...
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    You do not need the virtual audio cable program. DAX handles this function for for the 6000 series. SmartCAT controls various functions, third party programs, and hardware; SmartCat is included with the download of SmartSDR and will appear as a distinct program to be run and installed after you have run and installed the latest update of SmartSDR. I too have had a 1500 for about two years. Through using it I became totally convinced that Flex is the best way to go for the future of ham radio. I bought my 6700 the day it was announced while I was in Dayton. I've been a ham since 1954; the 6700 has totally revolutionized my understanding and enjoyment of amateur radio.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Correct with the 6000 series you do not need VAC, they have a program built in called DAX and it handles it all. As far as the CAT program it is also included in the software package and you willl use it to connect logging programs, keyers or any other thrid party softward to the radio Its a great radio I woild not hesitate. Mike N9DFD
  • Jim W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, very much for the comments and recommendations. Answered my questions perfectly.
    I was at the Flex dinner last year in Dayton.  Good bunch of engineers.
    Jim
    W3IPO
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If you decide to keep the 1500 along with a nice new 6700 you will be able to use SmartCAT in place of VAC for the 1500
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    SmartCat controls the ports. DAX is the Flex Virtual Audio Cable. VAC is only a Virtual Audio Cable. It has nothing to do with controlling ports.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Jim,

Like you; your last sentence which I will quote with just a minor change."I've been a ham since 1960; the 6700 has totally revolutionized my understanding and enjoyment of amateur radio." Too

However, I found out about Flex more than a decade ago and been enjoying all the products ever since.  There is no turning back.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    My mistake I meant other virtual port programs such as VSPE, etc., not VAC.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    That's what happens when you are in church doing something you shouldn't be doing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.