Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My 6700 has slight ringing sound when in SSB mode

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My 6700 has a slight ringing sound when in SSB mode.  I do not notice any expansion of  bandpass width no matter which filter is selected, the signal sounds the same width for any filter setting, and the slight ringing sound persists. no matter what I try. This is true for any band, and for LSB and USB. I have checked the equalizer for RX and the problem is not there. Bandpass offset is set correctly, for example with 2.7K selected, the signal is centered with 2800 high and 100 low.

Can someone help me with this?

Comments

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hmm, haven't heard ringing on mine.  Are you listening to audio through DAX or via audio directly off of the 6700 output jack?  I'm definitely not one of the experts here, but I'm curious if you hear the ringing sound on both the DAX audio and the speaker output on the radio?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'm hearing it direct thru the headphones plugged into the front of the radio
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Can no one give me any help with this? Am I the only one having this problem? How strange.  If nothing else, I will reload the entire SmartSDR (and lose all my settings)
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Flex needs an external utility program for storing Macros, .ini files (persistance) or whatever to save normal setup features and settings that can be reloaded after a complete firmware update..  Hopefully this or something like it is in the future.  especially when cwx comes along too.
    BTW: No ringing on the audio here with my 6700 but is sounds constricted no matter what filter width I try. 
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes Larry, constricted is the right term for my experience
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Dave,

Sorry that I can't help you. 

However, many months ago I had a similar situation that I though it was a problem.

I was hearing two different source of audio, one was a voice and the other were tones.  I went to the computer audio mixer and start looking for the problem.  I checked the settings and turned then off one at a time.  Hoping to find the culprit. 

Sure enough after a while I found where they were being generated and it turned up being audio from the computer and audio from the receiver where being mix by the same source. I separated them and set then to different inputs and that cure my problem. 

I don't know if that it is was going on with yours; I just wanted to give you my experienced.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Dave - I operated for hours last weekend in the contest on 15 and 10m with a 2.4 and 2.7k filter and I did not hear the "ringing" you described.  I presume you are using SmartSDR v1.1.3.

I did however have to adjust the AGC-T to a higher setting than from the defaults to get the best SNR for the band conditions, as the noise floor at my QTH is fairly low, around -12 dBm.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2019
    Dave - I just had a thought.  We made a change in SmartSDR v1.1.3 that modified the behavior of the APF (audio peaking filter).  It is possible that the filter may still be engaged during phone modes but you would never see any indication of it.  It would affect the audio quality and produce hollow sounding audio that could be described as "ringing".

Clearing the internal persistence database should correct this situation if this is truly the case.  To do that, power off the radio using the front panel power button.  Press and hold the front panel OK button while momentarily pressing the power button to start the radio,  Once you see the "Factory Defaults" displayed on the radio console, release the OK button.  This will reset the APF settings where they only work in CW mode.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tim, thanks, this solved the slight ringing problem.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    That is good to know, Dave!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.