Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

K6TU Control iPad application is available!

Comments

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanations Stu. Dale sent me a link to the documentation, and I now have it printed out for reference. Been reading it between patients at work. Another possibility for incrementing/decrementing power or CW speed or other precise controls would be "-" and "+" buttons that would turn red and be active for whichever control was being actively adjusted. These two buttons could be placed in the same location on each page that allows incrementing and decrementing. This would allow screen real-estate to be conserved and the user would always know where his fingers need to go to accomplish the adjustment. After reading the documentation I realize why you have transmit filters associated with each receive filter. The global option would be a nice touch, however, for those of us who stay with the same transmit cutoffs. Speaking of cutoffs, a very nice feature for those of us who experiment with different microphones and audio would be a drop-down box for low and high SSB cut-off points. This would make it very easy to test different cutoffs for optimal audio results. The cutoff points can be changed from the Settings menu on the pan-adapter, but it takes a number of mouse clicks and key-strokes and a fair amount of time. Having it easily accessible in a drop-down box in the App would make audio enthusiasts happy, happy, happy. Thanks for looking into the band-changing behavior. I may have been trying to change bands on a slice that was created by SSDR instead of the App. Would that make a difference? Hallelujah for accelerated tuning detection!!! I haven't seen that since the Yaesu FT-1000D with the tuning modification. That will be very slick. Relative to (5) above, if the filters are client specific, I'm still not sure how to impose the App filters onto an SSDR created slice. I'm at work and don't have access to the radio until tonight, but I think only the SSDR filters show up in the APP when it controls the SSDR created slice. I will try it again tonight. Nice App Stu. I think you're a contester like me, so I appreciate the effort in getting the machine/human interface refined for maximum usability. Non-contesters who seldom need to make changes to the radio can't fully appreciate the significant of having these controls so readily accessible. In contesting (and DXing), milliseconds can seem like minutes. Thanks, Charles K5UA
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stu, Don, that didn't work. I won't waist time going over what happened. I'll send you a direct email and we can take this off like until a solution is found. Appreciate the help guys! Dennis, k0eoo
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Heck, I am not even using it yet till I find an iPad...but thanks Stu. 73 Greg
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I am using the K6TU Control App in conjunction with Skype with success hearing audio from the Flex-6500. I have Skype loaded on both my iPad and on the PC that runs SmartSDR. In Skype on the PC, I have the Microphone set to DAX Audio RX 1. On SmartSDR, I have the DAX button (next to X/RIT button) enabled and Channel 1 selected. I can hear and control the volume of the radio's audio on the iPad. When using Skype for audio, the K6TU audio controls do not have any effect. When moving between bands using the K6TU App, I have sometimes lost the DAX channel and had to reset DAX via the SmartSDR screen. Things should become easier using DAX when the next version of K6TU Control App has specific controls for DAX.
  • Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stu; Works great as intended. I look forward to seeing your new apps for total control as you release them. HNY 73 Charlie, WA3UTC
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Charlie! Appreciate the feedback! Stu K6TU
  • Jim WA9ABB
    Jim WA9ABB Member
    edited May 2014
    Stu, No problem with the fee for your app. The app looks very interesting and I appreciate your work and knowledge to develop it. I am not yet sure if it is for me. My hopes are to be able to operate my 6700 which is located in my cold dungeon like basement from the comfort of my living room. Hope others will also develop useful software and apps to improve the use of the 6500/6700 transceivers. Best wishes for your enterprise, which is, I am sure, more a labor of love than a way to get rich. 73, Jim WA9ABB
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Have my eye on an iPad 3 32G for $325...
  • Keith - AE5XN
    Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I never thought I'd want an iPad or the FlexControl, now, after getting both on the same day, I can't imagine not having either one. They really add another ease-of-use aspect to the whole experience. Thanks Stu for making both the iPad app and the FlexControl happen! Keith - AE5XN
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    is it new and from where? I assume it has wifi.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stu....I am not very familiar with the iPads. Is the Ipad 3 the one with the retina display? Is $300 a decent price for a used one with case in 32G size? Greg
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Greg, Here are the specs for the iPad3 from Apple - and yes it does have the Retina display. IPad 3 Specs on apple.com Looking at Ebay, it looks like prices for a pure WiFi unit range from $250+ on up to $400. Stu K6TU
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Thanks...I guess $300 for a local sale with a case and charger is about on par then. Picking it up this evening. What are the wireless AP devices you can recommend. I have not used one before. Does the Cat5 from the house connect to the AP and then the AP provides both wireless and Wifi on the same subnet? I would have to probably connect a switch to the AP as well as I have too many wired devices for the number of ports available on the AP. I have a Netgear device with 8 ports and I think it is full, or close to it. I got the nicer iPad for when you other apps hit the street. Looking forward to it. Thank you Stu. 73 Greg AB7R
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited May 2020
    Greg, I've had good success with Netgear AP's and have three of them in our house. You plug a CAT 5 cable from your Netgear device into the AP and then the AP bridges Wireless and Wifi together. Most of the AP's have a small Ethernet hub built into them - the N600 Netgear model has 5 - one called "internet" or WAN that plugs via CAT 5 into your other Netgear box, the rest are available to plug in other devices like your PC, radio etc. I don't remember the price of the N600 that I paid or if it is still current - I think I paid around $70. Just be sure to configure the unit as an access point! Stu K6TU
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks....I will look for one on amazon. Will you be working the RTTY RU? Going to do it with nothing but the flex and dax. Should be a good test platform. That is, if my present dose of drugs allows it. :) On a bunch of pain stuff for back issues right now. :)
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stu, except for not getting the profiles to save any settings, I've save several profiles, for different bands and modes; but, selecting a profile changes nothing. I think the app is pretty nice and is well worth the cost. Once I can get the Profiles to work, it will be very nice for contesting and general control. Mike PS: I sent you an email regarding this and received no response :^(
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    You can get a re-certified one on Newegg for $30. Search for item: N82E16833122461
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Check to see if DDWRT or OpenWRT is available or even Tomato - you may be able to re-purpose it.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Just ordered the same on from Amazon for $30 (also refurb) but I get free 2-day shipping there. Will let you know when it arrives if I have any issues setting it up. Looks like it gives me a few extra wired ports too as I am running out on the netgear box. :) Thanks Stu.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    This is a WiFi adaptor not an AP. As Richard mentions, you might be able to **** new brains into it but IMO, not worth the time. Stu
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Indeed, not when you can get a dedicated for $30.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Ah yes, Prime. Best thing I ever subscribed to!
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Sorry - a little backed up with this thread and if you sent me a direct email its buried somewhere! I'm not sure what you mean by "selecting a profile changes nothing"... When you select a profile a stream of commands are sent to the radio for parameters that need to be set. Also the list of filters is updated. However, the profile deliberately does NOT save any information about slices. This is to avoid conflicts between clients. Equally, at present there is no "default" filter per mode. So to apply filters, you need to set the mode, then tap and select a filter to get its parameter applied to the selected slice. I do this for different contests - I have a profile for RTTY, different one for CW and for SSB. This way I can quickly select which filter configurations I want. Hope this clarifies how profiles work. You can also take a look at the documentation on my web site (link to that from the app coming soon). Stu K6TU
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Charles, I will add a way of setting all transmit filters for a specific mode to the same value with a checkbox. The filter settings for any slice can be over ridden by any client. The initial configuration for the filter depends on which client creates the slice. To set the filter for a slice from the iPad (regardless of which client created it), just tap on the filter bandwidth button in the slice and select a filter from the drop down list. I am indeed a very active contester! :-) Stu K6TU
  • geep
    geep Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Stu, there are too many penny pinching folks in our arena who just don't understand what it takes to create an ap like this one. Your price is reasonable and if the ap is even half as good as the knob, it is a winner. Going to get my iPad and start the download. Geep WA4rts
  • geep
    geep Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Got the ap up and running, looks great, no problem finding and attaching to the 6700. One small question -- when I swipe the slice panel off to get the ap full screen, how do I get the slice panel back? Not immediately obvious.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Ah, a portrait mode user... Try this, rotate the device to landscape and back again to portrait. Presto change-o and now a button appears at the top of the screen called Slices. Press the slices button and the slices list will appear. This appears to be a feature of iOS and I've been trying to find a solution since I started developing the app! Sorry about that... I usually have the iPad propped up in landscape mode using the magic cover as the stand. I'm still looking for a fix for this one... Stu K6TU
  • geep
    geep Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Just had the light bulb turn on and came back only to find your answer. Yes, I am a portrait mode user and keep the tablet locked. I thought I had unlocked it but hadn't and voila. Like the ap, Stu, having fun playing with it.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Charles, Can you give me some more information about the band button? I tried it and it works fine. It allows you to select a fast QSY to a pre-canned (and fixed) frequency in the new band. Thanks Stu K6TU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.