Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Digital Still Needs Comp?

Brad - N6SPM
Brad - N6SPM Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Thought I'd try my hand at RTTY with the 6500 this weekend. I made the cable described here in the group and used my trusty SignaLink USB. Jumpers were OK as they had been used on my Kenwood. I found I still need 25% to 35% Comp to get full output power. Can anyone confirm this is normal with 0.16.4? Thanks and 73, Brad - N6SPM

Answers

• Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Brad, I don't know if it is considered "normal" but I have found the exact same thing. We continue to get guidance about NOT using compressor and EQ when running digital but I definitely need Comp on at about 35% to get output. The good news is that with ver 16 I have not needed the EQ. I CANNOT wait for DAX! Mike, N1MD
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    guys your modem or signal link should be able to provide that .8 volt audio signal (Zero DB) to the input of the mike connection. Mine does... No compression ,No +20 db pre amp. Just the tones at the correct input level. And I do not exceed the 0 level set point. Or the ALC max . If you are going to produce a 2 tone rtty signal Please don't add compression or EQ . Or you will produce a garbage RTTY signal. IN SSB exceeding the limitations of the input will not make you louder , better, , just producing interference , garbage .
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I installed JP3 on the SignaLink,
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Not using MIC on front of 6700 with SignaLink. Feeding Accessory jack on back of 6700. Level is not exceeded beyond 0. No EQ. No pre-amp. No excessive ALC. In order to get rf power in this configuration, compressor has to be on. Mike, N1MD
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Compression adds audio. So. Your config. Is not producing that 0 db. That's front back balanced. Mike anywhere you use audio input . If your unit modem is producing the correct amount. And you adjust to the 0 level rig display There is where you should be. My rf. output can be adjusted from 1watt to 100 watts. Saying this. Running. Rtty you better consider the duty cycle. And keep it within the rating. . I run this flex 6500 no more than 30 to 50.watts rtty until I see a spec sheet on this radio
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks Mike, Good to know others see the same thing. Ed, I understand where you are coming from. My SignaLink works just fine with my Kenwood - I have an A/B setup running now. Nothing unusual, no Comp, no pushing ALC, nada. It works fine. With the Flex, I can't even get 50W with the audio on the computer and SignaLink all the way up; it takes Comp. I too am not running anywhere near 100W. I bring Comp up until I stop seeing a change. I understand good RTTY operating procedure, and that is the motivation for the post - This does not seem right and the only difference is the Flex. Robert, Thanks, I've had JP3 installed all along. 73 Brad _ N6SPM
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    JP3 – This jumper can be installed to increase the SignaLink USB’s Transmit Audio Signal. With this jumper installed, the SignaLink USB can provide up to 2Vp-p into 600 ohms. This should be more than adequate to drive any radio to full power. Note that this is NOT needed for most
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    There is also a slider on your software when you select the signal link . That should be adjusted UP.
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the continuing support. As I said in the previous posts, JP3 has been installed all along. With it in, my Kenwood needs *very little* audio gain on the SignaLink and works great. The slider on the Windows Mixer (when choosing the USB Audio SignaLink uses) has always been at 100%. Thanks, 73 Brad - N6SPM
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited June 2014
    Well, all things have an explanation, and I now have a partial one. I made up a cable (another one!) where I put a 600_ohm load across the Line 1 In and the Line 1 In Return. These are the signals wired to the Mic and Grd from the SignaLink. I instrumented it with my trusty old Tek 465, and lo_and_behold, 400mV P-P. I got about 500mV P-P without the 600_ohm load. Adjusting the **** on the SignaLink, or sliding the Slider in the Windows both attenuate the signal, but nothing makes it any bigger. This AM I disassembled the SignaLink and double checked the Jumpers. I'm going to do it again and continuity check as well. If this provides nothing, I might have a problem with the SignaLink or possibly the generic Windows USB Driver. Thank for the help. 73 Brad - N6SPM
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    glad your looking at the cause not the messenger. .4 is 1/2 of what you would normally use.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.