Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

vox is nearly impossible to adjust. and use

Reggie-k6xr
Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
room ambient noise makes it impossible to adjust vox. anti-vox is also needed? with mic level active always makes it hard to set vox. anyone else have this prob lem? 6500.

Answers

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    VOX is working fine for me using the default threshold setting and minus some of the default delay.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have given up on that! will continue with mox.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The VOX gain control is reversed in this version from what you might think. Lower sensitivity is to the right and higher to the left. This is already fixed in the next release. I was able to set up VOX today with no problem once I played with the controls a bit. Otherwise you can wait for the v1.0 release next week.
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Also you may have the mic gain set too high.. And I noticed the Vox sensitivity is reversed as Gerald noted..
  • Paul RN3A
    Paul RN3A Member
    edited September 2013
    VOX worked OK for me, once I have figured out that it is reversed. However, VOX tail delay gets ridiculously long, if you move the Delay slider to the right. I think it makes sense to adjust VOX tail delay to make it no longer than 2 - 2,5 seconds. The other thing which may need improvement as we'll is VOX turn ON delay. It is currently set to appx. 0,5 - 0,6 seconds and it eats up the beginning of the first phrase. Is it possible to make it significantly shorter, like 100 - 150 msec? Or even better, to make it adjustable? The second thing which still does not look good, is DSP. NB and NR are still far from being useable. Attempt to use ANF causes severe distortion in receive audio. Hopefully it will be fixed in v1.0 or soon after.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    the mic level is exactly where the indicator is when you talk into the mic just from ambient noise of the house. so with that input, the vox operates. there must be a way to eliminate or reduce that so the mic is not always hot?
  • K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Running 1.0.24.22 here. Mic gain at 50, vox at zero. Still a little too sensitive for me. Hope Flex backs off the vox gain a little.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have been able to get it to work well, but only when running with headphones. With no Anti-VOX, it just won't work with the two big speakers I have on the wall behind my desk.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We have added a feature request for anti-vox and to adjust the threshold gain.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.