Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the maximum tolerable dBm/mW the 6700 can handle before damage?

K6OZY
K6OZY Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am contemplating a pixel tech loop antenna on RX A or RX B and wanted to know how much signal in dBm or mW the 6700 can handle safely. The loop comes with an TX isolator relay but I'd prefer not to use it because of the radio's awesome full duplex abilities. The main antenna is a Carolina Windom 40 with the tip of it pointed towards the loop about 8 feet away. The maximum power I'd ever send out the OCF is 500-600W from a KPA500, but most of the time I'm under 100W. I am struggling with HOA limitations and trying to maximize my RX abilities.

Answers

• Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have the same pixel loop and recommend it but it has a 30 db amp at the antenna which can really add to the signal level. I have mine 30 feet away with 100W and strongly recommend you use the function " relay " to disconnect the antenna. It does two things, it disconnects the power to the antenna amp ( helping to protect the amp) and disconnects the feed line to the radio. The radio may take the significantly amplified signal but based on my professional work experience in communication I would be concerned about the Amp as well as the radio. Great antenna if local noise in the 160-40M band is an issue, big reduction in noise for me 8-15 db. Watts
  • Graham-KE9H
    Graham-KE9H FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The receiver overload level for the Flex-6500 and 6700 receivers is about +8 dBm, which is about S9+80 dB (for Preamps off, or a gain of 0). Above that, data converter overload occurs, and the receiver function is disrupted. Damage should not occur below +20 dBm, at which time other protection, such as reverse power disconnect relays and voltage clamps kick in. So, if you design your antenna system so that you never see more than +20 dBm, you should be safe. If you keep the levels below, say 0 dBm, you should be able to still receive. If the input levels go above +20 dBm, the receiver should still self protect, but this is for accidents and incidents, and I would not want to see a system design that routinely triggered or depended on the emergency protection. --- Graham / KE9H
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for the recommendation. I will tread carefully. I just hate the thought of a clicking relay during QSK.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. The radio seems to have amazing dynamic range.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    G'day Graham, I can confirm that +24dBm at 475kHz blocks the Rx on my 6500. This is 10V pk-pk into 50ohms on my 80m full wave loop. The other antenna a 160M inverted L with loading for 630M, is very close with 50W input. Andrew / VK5CV/VK5ZUC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.