Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internet connection system and cable length-type question

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
My comcast internet system is "Comcast brand/comcast installed internet and telephone modem">Belkin Router>Belkin 16 port switch. 2 questions: 1; will connecting to the switch cause any problems or latency 2; is there any special brand of cable that I should use to connect 6.5K to the switch? 3; does Granite the preferred choice of cable for the Flex6.5 as it was for the Flex5K? I may need a tad longer cable to get from the switch to the rig. 73 pse & tu de W9OL

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    1. The switch will cause zero issues. I use my 6700 thoughout my wired/wireless network through multiple switches. 2. Any cable will work. I'm using very cheap Chinese cables 3. Don't spend extra money on a cable. TCP/IP has inherent error checking. Mack W4AX
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I agree with Mack with a caveat - Use good quality UTP (unshielded twisted pair) CAT cable. Shielded cables in this application can result in undesired ground loops. You may wish to add ferrite chokes (toroids, not snap-ons) in the event of RFI (either disruption from RF, or noise pickup). Keep the cable run to a reasonable minimum for best performance. The supplied cable is nothing special, but works perfectly.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    some of us are paranoid that it might provide a path for lightning to get into the radio, via the ethernet port, with a fully 'wired' approach; some guys use a fiber optics converter; others, wireless... that said, i DID briefly play with a 75' piece of cat5e allll the way back to my dsl modem / router / wifi box in the den, and there was no apparent additional delay, FWIW 'just saying' in today's vernacular...73
  • Bill Heinzinger
    edited August 2013
    Thanks guys. I've read the articles about converting to the fiber system. I don't think I've had success getting a cat5 connecter onto the cabe the first time. LOL Or the 2nd either.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.