Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will AM transmit and FM modes be functional in SSDR 1.0?

Keith - AE5XN
Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm curious to know if AM and FM modes be implemented by SSDR 1.0 or on a later release? Speaking of AM mode, I know AM mode isn't working quite right in the current preview release, but I thought I'd mention an interesting observation I had while trying AM transmit mode into a dummy load. When I monitored the transmitted AM signal on my Flex 5000A, I noticed that if you listened to the AM transmission from my 6700 in LSB or USB mode on the 5000A, the audio sounded great, but if you listened to it in AM mode, it sounded muffled (known and previously reported issue), making me wonder if their is a phase shift between the USB and LSB audio that is making the audio sound bad in AM mode? Keith - AE5XN
Tagged:

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    FM will not be in SmartSDR v1.0. AM is scheduled to be in v1.0.
  • Keith - AE5XN
    Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply, Tim! That makes sense, especially since implementing FM will also make repeater offset splits and CTSS/tone implementation almost a necessity for 10M/6M/2M repeater work, and that adds yet another layer of complexity. Keith - AE5XN.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If it is a phase shift, as you suggest, then it may be a simple mathematical algorithm error. Hopefully this will be easy to fix in the 1.0 update without needing to add a bunch of code that adds a new mode. FM will be another story. more needs to be added to bring us FM than will be needed to fix AM transmit.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Will there be SyncAM for shortwave RX on 1.0? Makes a huge difference on PSDR
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The AM problem is a simple math error that will be fixed before 1.0.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gerald, having majored in Math & Physics before entering my current profession, my guess is that it is an embarrassingly simple math error, too! (Won't speculate on line...) Been there, done that! hi, hi... Looking forward to the fix!
  • Keith - AE5XN
    Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the info Gerald. I figured that was likely the case after I noticed the individual sidebands sounded fine, but combined they sounded "off". Can't wait to check in to the local Saturday morning 3890 AM Texoma Trader's Net with my 6700 :-) Keith - AE5XN
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    It was two embarrassingly simple errors (both mine), one being dumb math and the other modulator 101. They are both fixed and the code is running the test gauntlet. Steve, N5AC
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Steve! Glad it was simple. You will redeem the embarrassment with a good performing AM mode! (Those +'s and -'s can be a pain in the backside!) Keep up the good work.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not in 1.0. You will find SAM on the SmartSDR Software Roadmap published today.
  • Alan, K2WS
    Alan, K2WS Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm very glad to see the SSDR Roadmap and the clarifications made in Issue 24 of Flex Insider. Way to go Gerald and Company! I do have questions on what will be included in SSDR v1.0. 1. will Tx adjustable BW be included? 2. will the Tx BW selections be programmable as in PSDR? 3. will Tx adjustable BW work on AM as well as SSB?
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Yes Steve
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Excellent!
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Now we will soon be cooking with gas :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.