Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Satelite equipment

Options
George M.
George M. Member ✭✭

Hello

I watched Mike's VA3MW and other videos on satellite communication using the Flex.

I wonder if anyone could help me out, I would like some guidance on the external hardware for a satellite and or EME station using a Flex 6600. I all ready have a Transverter for both 2 meters and 70 cm setup and working on my 6600.

My main questions are;

1) What recommendations for antennas do you have? IE use simple eggbeater types, circular polarized yagies, or just plain yagies. (obviously if going with plain yagies or circular polarized I will need an Alt/Az rotor)

2) Software for tracking, which do you use? Does it interface with the radio for Dopplar shift and rotor for sat. tracking?

3) Anything else you can elaborate on?

George N1NAZ

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

George

There are too many personal based, unique to you, based variables to give you answers.

Antenna. Any will work. Get the largest that meets your budget and real estate use requirements.

Software: There are two choices for the Flex. Both work well, and the Flex is a very good platform. Each have unique issues and a learning curve:

• SatPC32
    • MacDoppler

Satellites on a Flex is fun, but more complex to set up than other radio/tracker options. Again, a personal choice only you can make.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    Options

I have a Flex 6600 and have had a lot of fun with the satellites.

Regarding antennas, I use (and would recommend) the M2 LEO-Pack which is two circularly polarized antennas. It's solidly built, and works well. I use a Yaesu AZ-EL rotator, the G5500. Prior to purchasing the M2 LEO-Pack, I mounted my typically handheld Arrow 146/437-10 on the rotator and had fun with that also. However, that took quite a beating from the elements, and was probably not a good long term solution.

Another option for the software is PstRotator. This works very well and is only $20 for a license. It controls the antenna azimuth and elevation, and can also be used for an azimuth only antenna. It does full doppler correction for the Flex as well. It takes a bit of work to get it all setup, but after that it is very easy to use.

Try and keep your feedlines as short as possible, and use a good, low-loss coax.

Good luck! 73, Joel N9LQ

• George M.
    George M. Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Alan, and Joel,

Good suggestions, This is what I am looking for, having had no experience with space work at all. Looking for a new Amateur Radio adventure to get into.

George N1naz

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.