Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Losing connect with computer

Options
Pepper
Pepper Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Networking

I have a flex 6700 **** to a flex tuner,flex amp and a flex antenna switch.

I had it working perfectly and now total melt down.

All components are in and out and will not stay hooked up.

How can that be on a lan network?

Could it be a router problem?

I have a Deco 60 router.

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What happens when you only try to run the radio? I only get connection issues if my main system ground has an issue. Rf starts flying around the shack and even cat 6 cables can carry common mode rf to things that shouldn't have rf on them. Blitz out the router. Blitz out the radio. Or blitz out the computer. Start with you system ground and make sure its heavy 4ga, short and to 8 foot copper ground rods outside... mine goes out the foundation right outside the shack and pounded down in great conductivity black dirt. I have a second one that goes out the back of the rack and right to the tower base. The tower has 4 ground rods on it. I then have copper bus bars on the rack and short direct 8ga jumpers to the radio pieces. I use ferrites on the network cables. Ground first. Then check all feedlines for continuity and being tight. DD

• Pepper
    Pepper Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using a wired lan and losing conection to the radio and peripherals. When i hook the radio directly to the computer the problem goes away.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Does the problem only happen when you transmit, or does it happen when receiving?

If only when transmitting, then it is likely RF getting in to the network, as mentioned by Erika.

If it happens during receive, then it is likely a problem with the router, switch or cabling. Cat 8 cables are widely available and are now reasonably priced. I recently replaced all my cat 5 & 6 cables with cat 8. I have snap-on ferrite beads on all ethernet cables, whether they are radio related or not.

You might try rebooting all the network equipment (router, switches, etc.).

• Pepper
    Pepper Member ✭✭
    Options

It does not happen on transmit, it will not even stay on the computer screen over a few seconds before losing connection. The meter for the connection status stays in the red like i am on Wi-Fi.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Can you swap out the ethernet cabling?

I would also try re-boots all around (network gear, computer, radio). I would also export the radio profiles and do a factory reset. Before re-importing, give it a try to see if it might be a corrupt profile.

If that does not help, I would submit a help desk ticket.

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Pepper:

First of all reboot your router. If no help then connect the PC directly to the 6700 to trouble shoot your system. IF the PC works with radio then get a new router/switch or barrow one from a friend to prove the fix.

I have been using a Lynksys switch for many years, I started to have problems with my 6600/PGXL delayed output (losing the first character transmitted in CW mode). I was experiencing SSDR randomly dropping connection with the radio. I bit the bullet and purchased a new switch, I have dropped 6 packets out of 5 million since installing the new switch, no delays, and no disconnects.

I didnt know about CAT8 cable, I may have to take the hint, I too have fairites on the Ethernet cable bundle just in case.

Gayle K0FLY

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have had better connection duration with a 100 Mb switch than a 1 gig switch.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.