Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using a studio Mic with the Flex.

Options
KG5PTE
KG5PTE Member ✭✭

Is it OK to use a a studio mic (A Shure Beta 58-A) with my Flex 6400 ? I use the hand mic as a PTT and talk into the Shure mic.

Thank you.

Answers

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Well, give me a shout , and i can tell you if it sounds good...

You can use every sort of MIC on the Flex Series 6K , as you can modify lots of Sound parameters and store them as settings. Just make sure your Studio Mic has it´s proper phantom power source .

You can also use VOX or attach any hand/foot Switch to the rear PTT Plug

Harry

DL9NDW

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

OK you just generated another question, What is a Phantom power source.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The Shure Beta 58A is a dynamic mic and does not use phantom power or a bias voltage.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

I use a Shure Beta 58A, with my Flex (and Kenwood, and Heathkit). Sure, the Shure works :-) I did have to buy an adapter-cable from Amazon, to go from XLR to 3.5mm:

The vendor does have wiring-connection diagram, and it won't work as-is with Flex because Tip + Ring are tied together. From my review, a simple change in the XLR end makes it work:

"I opened up the 1/8" mini end first, but all three wires (red=ring, white=tip, braid=shield) were all separate and correctly attached to Tip-Ring-Sleeve.

So, I then opened up the XLR end, and found:

1) a wire jumper from pin 1 to 3. I unsoldered and discarded this small, bare jumper.

2) white/red were connected together into the solder-**** for XLR Pin 2. I unsoldered both, separated them, and soldered each of the white and red wires into XLR Pin 3 and XLR Pin 2.

And now it works perfectly."

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

In use, Shure Beta 58A and Flex 6400:

I do not need either BIAS or +20dB. As mentioned by Len, the 58A is a dynamic mic and requires no power, no Phantom, and it produces enough output. I do run the Mic Gain at 80, and tend to talk across the mic about 1/2" away, which peaks the Level just tickling Yellow, no Red at all (I reach for the amp when I feel I need more talk-power 😁) ... so, you or another ham may feel you want the +20dB - use it if you need it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.